Chapter 2: Coincidence can be freaky

In Academy city, there are six levels of classification of ability users. 

- Level 0: Incapable, accounting for about 60% of students in this city, possessing abilities that are difficult to measure or have little effect.

- Level 1: Low-level, possessing abilities that are barely useful in everyday life, like bending spoons.

- Level 2: Slightly more powerful than Level 1, but still considered ordinary ability users.

- Level 3: Elite, possessing abilities useful in daily life, gaining recognition for their powers.

- Level 4: Extraordinary, capable of producing phenomena beyond the reach of external scientific technology, and possessing qualities valued by the military in combat.

- Level 5: Superpower, possessing abilities that can single-handedly fight against armies.

Similar to the food chain's ecological pyramid, as the rank increases, the number of ability users in each level decreases. Level 5 stands at the pinnacle, with only seven rare individuals among approximately 1.8 million students in the entire Academy City.

As a result, encountering a Level 5 is an extremely low probability in the city, but...

"Oh, you!"

"Ah"

When waiting for an order at a usual family restaurant, I unexpectedly encounter one of those Level 5 individuals.

♢♦♢

A few weeks ago was the first time I met her.

"Uwaaah! Unlucky!"

As I lazily walked through the town after classes, I heard a familiar voice. It was my bad friend, Kamijou Touma, dropping a bag from the supermarket on the ground, looking as if he had witnessed the end of the world.

"What are you doing, Kamijou?"

"Oh, Kiyotaka! Listen to this! After school, I rushed to get some eggs on sale, and they ended up squashed on the ground!"

In the egg carton he held, the shells, egg whites, and yolks had turned into a mess.

"...You're still as unlucky as ever. Well, I'll share mine with you later."

"S-Sorry. I'll make it up to you someday."

"By the way... weren't you on cleaning duty today?"

"Gulp."

"...You'll get yelled at by Fukiyose again."

"Ugh..."

"Hey! You!"

A high-pitched voice reached our ears, and Kamijou and I turned to look. There stood a girl with brown hair, wearing the uniform of Tokiwadai Middle School, a prestigious all-girls school. She was glaring at us, well, mostly Kamijou.

"Oh, it's the Biri Biri middle-schooler."

Biri Biri?

"Don't call me Biri Biri! My name is Mikoto Misaka! Today, I'll settle things once and for all!"

"What's up, Kamijou? Do you know her?"

"Yeah, I helped her once when she was in trouble with Skill Out... I ended up canceling the electric shock she was about to unleash with my right hand, and she got fixated on me after that."

"I bet you said something rude as usual."

"Why does it seem like it's all my fault!?"

It appears that the aristocratic girl is holding a grudge against Kamijou for hurting her pride as an ability user. Despite that, their relationship seems quite frank, as they exchange playful banter.