Chapter 06

Chasing the Hero

CHAPTER 06

The hug held a mixture of warmth and worry, her words a veiled warning. Mom might not know the full extent of my power, but she sensed something, and the fear in her eyes mirrored my own, especially that she knew I inherited dad's power. Some of it! Mr. Schwartz, oblivious to the undercurrent of tension, simply smiled and winked. "Don't worry, Mrs. Ash, I'll have my hawk eyes peeled."

Walking to school, I felt the weight of their anxieties pressing down on me. Mom wanted to protect me, to keep me safe within the confines of normalcy, while Mr. Schwartz saw a potential for good, a chance to finally stand up for myself. Their conflicting wishes echoed the battle raging inside me: embrace the power or bury it deep?

The school hallway felt different that day. Every glance, every whisper seemed charged with suspicion, fueled by the rumors of my "strange behavior." Elias and his goons swaggered by, their mocking laughter a constant reminder of my vulnerability. But something had changed within me. The fear was still there, but it was now accompanied by a spark of defiance, a flicker of the power I barely understood.

Math class was a blur. Numbers swam before my eyes, unable to compete with the questions swirling in my mind. What was I? What was the source of this power? And how could I control it before it spiraled out of control?

Suddenly, a commotion erupted outside the classroom. Shouting, followed by a loud crash. My heart hammered against my ribs, fear warring with the instinct to act. This was it, the moment I had both dreaded and anticipated.

Without thinking, I bolted from my seat, ignoring the teacher's reprimand. I burst through the doors, the scene before me like a scene from a movie. Elias, backed into a corner, fear etched on his face. A group of older students, their faces contorted in anger, surrounded him.

Before I could process the situation, a surge of energy coursed through me. The air crackled, a low hum resonating from my fingertips. The bullies flinched, their eyes widening in surprise. It was like they could sense the power crackling around me, raw and untamed.

"Leave him alone," I said, my voice surprisingly steady, though it held a tremor of power I hadn't known existed. The bullies hesitated, their bravado faltering in the face of the unknown. Then, as if on cue, the fire alarm blared, shattering the tense silence.

They scattered like startled pigeons, leaving Elias trembling on the floor. I knelt beside him, the hum subsiding, leaving only a faint tingling sensation on my fingertips. He looked up at me, his eyes wide with a mix of fear and gratitude.

"You... you stopped them," he stammered, his voice barely audible.

"Yeah," I said, offering him a hand. He took it, pulling himself up with surprising strength.

The adrenaline rush faded, replaced by a wave of exhaustion and a sobering realization. This power, while exhilarating, was a double-edged sword. I could use it for good, like today, but it could also lead down a dangerous path.

As we walked back to class, the weight of responsibility settled on my shoulders. Mom and Mr. Schwartz were right. I couldn't ignore this anymore. I needed answers, guidance, and a way to control this power. But where would I find it? And who could I trust?

The journey had just begun, and it was already clear that it wouldn't be easy. But with each step, with every challenge, I would learn more about myself and the extraordinary legacy I was now a part of.

The whispers followed me like a shadow, morphing from taunts to bewildered curiosity after Elias Blackthorn, the school bully himself, became my unlikely shadow. Lunch became a silent affair, his presence both a shield and a reminder of the strange turn my life had taken.