Storm

As I stood at the door to bid the Italians farewell, we realized how bad the rain had gotten. It was storming, thunder crackling what seemed like every five seconds, the rain violently pouring down and smacking the roof and windows.

I looked at the parked car and back at the Italians, who were nervously staring out on the wet asphalt that they would have to drive through.

"How long do you guys have to drive out?" I asked.

"A few hours, give or take; we'll be fine," Matteo answered.

I pondered on the thought for a moment before sighing and closing my eyes. "You can stay the night."

"What?" Enzo asked in surprise.

"You. can. stay. the. night." I said through gritted teeth.

"Why?"

"Why? It is pouring outside and you will get into a car crash if you drive for more than thirty damn minutes. I'd rather have alive Italians to work with, not dead ones."

"I think we'll pass up your offer, thanks," Matteo said stubbornly.

"So you can die on the road? Fine by me. If you do plan on staying, you all will stay in one guest bedroom. You will join me for dinner. There will be guards stationed outside your door for safety purposes, and everything else you will be provided with."

Enzo thought about it for a moment. "We need to change Emilio's bandages at home."

"We have doctors and resources on hand here."

"Are you sure?"

"I may not trust you fully, but I don't want you to become vulnerable to the Greeks if you end up getting injured on the road. This does not mean you are allowed to do whatever you please. If you need something, notify the guards outside your door. They will fetch it for you or will send word to me to fetch it for you. Frankly, I don't think I can trust you around my house just yet."

"I'm not staying here," Matteo said and walked outside into the rain. Just then, thunder struck so loudly I swear I could feel the house shake and he turned around and walked right back in, his hair now a sopping mess and suit drenched in water. He muttered something under his breath.

"What was that, you just said?" I asked, batting my eyelashes though he couldn't see.

"I'll stay," he grumbled, huffing.

"Thought so."

I led them to the guest bedroom. "You'll all be sleeping in here." There was a large, king-sized bed and a couch, with plenty of pillows and blankets on each. "There's the bathroom right there," I nodded towards the door in the room, "And a walk-in closet right there, there's already clothes for you all, if they don't fit let the guards know." I nodded towards the door next to it.

"This isn't enough roo-" Matteo started.

"Thank you. We appreciate it." Emilio cut him off. I nodded once more.

"The guards will notify you for dinner."

I exited the room and went up to my own, taking my hair down and brushing it. I took a quick shower and changed into black sweatpants and a long-sleeve band shirt. I left my hair down and put on my mask, lying on the bed.

Can't take any chances.

Derek and Maya came in.

"So.. how'd that go?" Maya asked.

"You guys were eavesdropping the entire time, why are you asking?"

Derek scoffed. "We were not eavesdropping."