"i get that," scaramouche smiled. "like the weight is off your shoulders. a thousand pounds of anxiety."

   "a thousand pounds of anxiety," [name] agreed.

   "...and that's how i met your mother," said the young man, who had finished telling his children the tale.

   "ew, they're flirting!" one of their children exclaimed in disgust when she watched them kiss.

   "at least they love each other," another one protested.

   [name] chuckled from the kitchen, stirring the ramen on the stove. "dinner is ready!" she exclaimed, kissing her husband as she entered, and patting her kids on the head.

"that apron always looks beautiful on you," scaramouche noted.

   "how about i buy a my little pony hot pink one for you?" she replied playfully. her husband punched her in the stomach playfully.

   "fight! fight! fight!" the children yelled in chorus. she shook her head and gestured for them to eat. they picked at their noodles excitedly.

   scaramouche had been left in the dark ever since he was a young child. his mother, driven by the grief of their father's death, took out her anger on her children. his sisters had been there to support him all throughout his life, and they had their fair share of arguments.

   [name] had lived a happy childhood. it all went down when she started attending middle school. her mother's love had turned on her and instead it was replaced with hate and aggravation. the faded scars tingled.

   no matter, because those scars were gone now, as if the light string of fate pulled them together with the simple matter of mutual friends and the same highschool.

   after dinner, [name] took her children stargazing in the backyard. the picnic blanket was laid down on the grass along with a telescope.

"it's my turn to look through it!" usagi yelled.

"no, it's my turn!" said rosalyne.

   "i think it's actually mine," said ranpo, taking off his glasses to see through the telescope. his two sisters protested and tried to get him to stop, but he wouldn't budge.

   "look, i see orion," said [name], pointing at the constellation. "long ago, there was a great hunter and his name was orion. one day in the forest after he'd been exiled from chios' kingdom. he met a beautiful woman named athena while she was bathing in the waters. he went to live with her, and one day, he threatened to kill all the animals in the world. gaea, goddess of the earth, sent a scorpion after him to stop him from making them extinct. the scorpion and the orion constellation are quite close together, don't you think? but that's just a story. don't believe in them for real, they might overtake you."

"but what if we want to believe in them?" said usagi.

"yeah, what if we want to?" rosalyne and ranpo chorused.

   "then you believe in them," scaramouche chuckled. "look, my darling, it's snowing. in the middle of november, too. isn't that odd?"

"...but, s-scara... it's always..." her eyes drooped shut. "...snowing."

   scaramouche woke up from his nightmare, hugging his wife tightly. the children were already asleep. "i just had a weird dream," he whispered to her. she didn't respond. her eyes were glassy, the eyeshine was gone. she seemed paralyzed.

"...[name]?"

he froze.

no way.

"[name], are you awake?"

only silence was heard.

   "[NAME]!" he screamed desperately, tears dripping over her lifeless body.

too late.

he had been too late to notice.

and the price was that she was now gone, taken away by the grim reaper.

she was gone.

for good.

and there was nothing he could do to stop that.

even if he had pleaded with celestia.

   "i love you," he whispered, the cold, clear liquid dripping onto her body, drop by drop, until he broke down and he was shattered like a fragile glass.

"don't... d-don't leave me."

END OF CHAPTER

1156 words

©KAZOOTEA

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED