Chapter 7: The Training

Começar do início

'Sit down, Doris.' The master offered him a seat beside the table and himself sat down. His flowing white hair and great white beard presented a stunning contrast to Doris' own short black hair, moustaches and clipped short beard.

'You know we are an age old martial school where we provide free martial training to anyone and everyone who comes to us regardless of their name, birth and wealth. That's our tradition.'

'Yes master. I am aware of that.'

The master slowly poured out a tea for both of them. 'Hmm what was I saying?'

'It is the tradition of our school to teach all students indiscriminately.'

'Ah yes. So, I wanted to ask you why did you want to learn martial arts at all. You are from a priest family.'

'I am, master. My father was a priest. I will be one too. I just happened to have a great interest in martial arts so I decided to learn it.'

'You do not have any intention of pursuing it any further?'

'No. In my family it is important to follow the trade of your father.'

'That's a pity. You will make a really good warrior, I can say that with certainty, but, if you do not wish to become one then, I suppose there's no point in taking your skills to a higher level.'

'Higher level?' His eyes glittered.

'Just as students search for a suitable teacher, teachers too search for suitable students.'

'I am yours.'

There was a long silence in the room broken only by the sound produced by poring tea. Nobody spoke. The master was no doubt weighing his own preposition but Doris was already high with intoxication at the thought of 'something more'. His eyes shown like stars in the slowly darkening room. The light had still not been lit.

'You know which is the greatest weapon, Doris?' He sipped his tea slowly. 'Not the sword. Not the arrow. Not the skills. Not the expertise. It is the human mind that wields it all. Our mind tells us when we need a weapon, how to use it and what to do when we don't have any weapon at all.'

Doris' heartbeats started to quicken. His mouth ran dry. He couldn't take his eyes off the master's face.

'So, if one can train the mind, the mind can then, in turn, train the weapons. Not only train but control the weapons. The mind can control if you want to use your sword as your hand or ..... your hand as a sword.'

'Watch.' He took a twig from his flower vase, held it in both hands, closed his eyes and mumbled something. Then threw it at the candle holder hanging from the ceiling. All the candles lit in one single blaze as if by magic.

 The room was bathed in its soft golden glow.

Doris stood up and kneeled before him in profound reverence. The master smiled.