• 3 •

It was night time already

It was night time already. Desa had spent hours watching the Filligrey Harbour and its movements. So many sailors and merchants had come and go, it was a hum of constant movement. Her muscles ached from lying down on the red bricked roof of the town house.

She cracked her neck and tried to workout the stiff muscles of her legs. In the cover of the dark, it was easier to move without being seen. She sat upright on the roof and cursed the decision of not buying liquor from the town market earlier in the morning. She hated going through with the killing without a little buzz going on. It helped her deny the reality.

Swinging her boot covered feet back and forth on the roof edge, she watched the dwindling workers on the harbour. Some of them were tying in their ships for the night and most of them were locking up their warehouses that stored crates of good that merchants brought in.

Desa had thought about just going in for a mission in the clear sky of day but the idea of definitely being caught and then rotting away in prison sounded like such a pain in the ass. True, she was already in a form of prison, bounded by a duty she was tricked in but at least she had earned herself a little bit of leash length. She had her own space, an apartment, she could blissfully spend the money she earned from killing to drown herself away from the problems she gained from said killing.

Ah it was all a loop de loop when it came to her problems. It always gave her a headache thinking about it. She had no way out of servitude to Sonterro and it was claustrophobic.

Maybe instead of locking her up, they would execute her. Wouldn't that be a treat? Finally escaping this wretched life she had no control over. Unfortunately she had tried getting caught before. Sonterro had corrupted his way into law enforcement. She was released due to lack of evidence they sad. The following days were just sunshine and rainbows of punishment. And the icing on top was that another rule was added to her binding.

'You will do everything in your power to not get caught or get imprisoned by guards while on a job.'

It was a longshot anyway. Trusting the justice system to finally release her from her prison made by Sonterro. But it'd been worth a try. That was when she was fifteen. She was twenty one years old now. How the time flew when you were having fun.

Desa looked around at the almost empty harbour and inspected the ships lining the docks. It'd been easy finding the ships that belonged to Aksel Cairn. There was a total of eight of them with giant masts and a big hull to carry goods in. The ships were not as big as some of the others anchored in the coast but they definitely looked to be of great size. Enough to cause Sonterro some competition apparently.

She didn't know much about sea travel, never had to learn and she wasn't going to start now. This was probably going to be the closest she would ever come to sailing away from the city of Avilfell and Sonterro. She closed her eyes and a giant building engulfed in flames flashed in her mind. She immediately opened her eyes. She didn't deserve to leave Sonterro.