"We've reviewed the political benefits extensively, and I do not wish to waste either of our time revisiting those very legitimate reasons for marriage."

I stress the obviousness of such a political decision, but he only crosses his arms and nods with understanding.

"Agreed. I'll need more than potential human alliances before I make this commitment."

My lips pinch, and my brow drops with frustration. However, I roll my shoulders and shake away the animosity so I can continue with a persuasive pleasantness.

"So let's look at it from another perspective. One that is wholly beneficial to your people. Earlier, we discussed your need for fresh blood to have healthy offspring. I can provide you an heir and, as I proved a few nights ago, I will enjoy the process of making it."

Just talking about that night confirms my willingness. My mouth waters with the words, and my eyes fall to the curve of muscle sloping between his neck and shoulder. My gaze trails over the expanse of his bare chest, and I yearn to expose the rest of him.

I squeeze my legs tighter, grateful for the layers of fabric hiding the tension coiling in my lap.

"A physical union between a human and a dragonith is something Firehearts have never explored, or at least they haven't within recorded history. We don't know what our coupling might produce. We may be too different to have offspring. Maybe you can bear a child, but the pregnancy could be wrought with complications. Maybe the birth will be more than your human body can bear."

Okay, I hadn't considered all of that besides the possibility of incompatible genes. I swallow hard, and for a moment, I falter. Even though I recover in seconds, Cephias notices the slightest drop of my shoulders.

"It's too dangerous," he reinforces.

"And what other option do you have? Do you just let your people die out?"

"I could seek other clans and mate with one of them."

He shrugs his handsome shoulders and though the gesture should have me weak in the knees, I'm instead filled with fury.

The thought of another prospective partner for Cephias never crossed my mind. It seemed impossible. Now that he presents it, though, I find myself more than capable of unbridled jealousy.

"You know, I don't think you wanted to discuss this matter!" I huff and cross my arms over my chest. "I get it. You hate the idea of being married to me. The mere thought is apparently worse than the prospect of facing your rival alone. So, I hear you, okay? Message received and noted. Now, can we quit with this unnecessary torture so I can return to my room?"

I face him with a displeased pout on my lips.

Then he smirks, and my tantrum disappears as quickly as it came. This man has far too much control over my moods.

"I told you this likely wouldn't sway me, however I do have a compromise." He pauses, scooting to the edge of his stool and leaning forward so he's practically on top of my lap.

"Come with us down to the village tomorrow. You'll be safe there and when I get back with the caravan, we'll both have had enough time apart to properly think things through. It will allow us to really know the truth of our feelings."

"There won't be enough time to gather allies by then. What is the point if we don't use this to fight off the water lord?"

"Yes, what's the point indeed?" His head drops with his sigh and his hand runs through his hair.

Shit, I'm losing him. I shouldn't have shot down his compromise so quickly. Why must he rile me up so much?

"Look, I'm sorry. I'm tired and I'm stressed too." My voice is soft as my hand nudges Cephias's chin so he faces me again. "I'm grateful you are trying to meet me halfway, but I think you need to give a little more for it to be an equal concession."