𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐄𝐑'𝐒 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒

Start from the beginning

"Perfect. I can't thank you enough!" Mrs. Jeffries passionately conveyed her thoughts.

ﮩ٨ﮩﮩ٨ﮩﮩ٨ﮩ٨"No problem. See you then," As the words escaped Mrs. Scobell's lips, a sense of finality filled the air. And in that moment, the all too familiar melody of three beeps reverberated, signaling the end of the call as Mrs. Scobell gently placed her phone down.

With a gentle smile, Mrs. Scobell glided through the house, her steps light and purposeful. Ascending the stairs, she made her way towards her son's sanctuary. As she reached her destination, her delicate hand caressed the cool silver doorknob, slowly turning it to reveal the haven within.

"Walker," Mrs. Scobell hummed, her voice a tender melody, only to discover her son sprawled upon his bed, his golden locks in disarray, and his eyes peacefully sealed shut.

"Walker, honey, it is time to wake up," Mrs. Scobell instructed, her words a gentle lullaby. Walker emitted a groan of annoyance, shifting in his slumber.

"I have a task for you," Mrs. Scobell revealed, her voice carrying a hint of mystery.

"It's too early for tasks'" Walker grumbled, his voice muffled by the pillow that embraced his face.

"Darling, I need you to care for someone. They are sick," Mrs. Scobell implored, her voice filled with concern.

"And risk getting sick myself? I don't think so," Walker protested, his tone laced with reluctance.

"It's Leah, my sweet," Mrs. Scobell disclosed, her words a playful tease.

Walker's head shot up abruptly, his gaze locking with his mother's. "Leah? She's sick?"

Mrs. Scobell nodded, her eyes dancing mischievously, "Since you mentioned that you're not willing to take any risks with your health, I guess I can let Mrs. Leah know that you won't be able to-"

"No! I-I want to," Walker interjected hastily, his voice filled with determination.

Mrs. Scobell chuckled softly, her laughter a melodic symphony, before declaring, "I'll be waiting in the car, sweetie," and gracefully exited the room.

Walker ran his fingers through his tousled locks, a radiant smile gracing his lips as he pondered.

**********

The Jeffries parents knelt before their daughter, who lay prostrate on the couch, her arms cradling her head within the square-shaped void. Swathed in blankets, her entire body sought solace while a deluge of tissues overflowed the miniature trash can. Beside her, the table held her water bottle, thermometer, and remote, abandoned and forgotten. Leah's parents endeavored to offer words of solace, but her throat emitted only pitiful whimpers, rendering speech an arduous task.

At that very moment, a melodious chime resonated from the door, its harmonious notes gracefully filling the atmosphere. Mrs. Jeffries bestowed a tender smile upon her husband before gracefully rising from her seat.

"We found someone to watch over you, baby," Mr. Jeffries declared to his daughter, his hand tenderly caressing her back. As Mrs. Jeffries approached the door, her heart fluttered with a mix of hope and apprehension. With a gentle tug, she swung the door open, revealing a figure standing before her - Walker.

"Hey, Mrs. Leah," Walker greeted warmly, his voice carrying a sense of familiarity.

"Hi, buddy," Mrs. Jeffries replied, her voice filled with warmth and affection. She caught a glimpse of Heather from her car, offering a gentle wave before bidding her farewell. With her attention now solely on the young teenager, Mrs. Jeffries beckoned him inside.