-four

╔══════《✧》══════╗
Chapter Four
.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. 
tornado warnings
—by fifteyshadesofdylan
╚══════《✧》══════╝

Somehow it seemed early morning adventures were on everyone's minds that Sunday morning. Louisa had exited her truck only for her eyes to land on Nathan's blue truck pulling up. Audrey and Nathan had gotten out which earned them a confused look by the blonde. Did they all have the same idea to pay the Cape Rouge a visit or was she missing something? Clearly she was definitely missing something if they were all there at 1am.

"What are you guys doing here?" Louisa wondered, looking between Audrey and Nathan. The man tried to avoid eye contact with her. Nathan hadn't tried reaching out to her since earlier in the week when he had left suddenly in a rush. Audrey had looked to the Wuornos man to see if he was going to respond. She squinted her eyes once she noticed Nathan looking anywhere else but Louisa. She found it odd and had made a mental note to ask about it eventually.

"Duke called us about a lead in our case."

"Wait. The one with the two old men being killed?" Louisa asked, slightly confused. Though it was Duke so he must have used one of the tricks he had up his sleeve to get information, Louisa thought.

Audrey nodded her head in response before questioning Louisa, "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, well Duke's been trying to call me all day. But Vince broke my phone. Supposedly it was an accident but I think he was just annoyed at it going off. And Duke and I kinda left our last conversation off on a rough note if you can even say that. So I was coming here to see what he wanted," Louisa shrugged. Nathan looked to Audrey who tilted her head.

"She's going to have to know eventually. We can't keep going in circles," Audrey told him. Louisa looked between the two even more confused. What the hell were they talking about?

"We should first see what's going on first with him before we drag her into it all," Nathan spoke up.

"Umm... She is standing right here. You guys are being super sketchy right now," Louisa pointed to herself trying to bring up how talking about her like she wasn't there was pointless.

Audrey chuckled at Louisa's wide eyes and her hand placed on her hip dramatically.

"Come on. We should head onto the boat," Audrey declared, pulling Louisa along with her while Nathan trailed behind the two women.

The three had walked around the corner once they got below deck. Duke hadn't looked up yet to see the three of them. He was still rather annoyed that it took Audrey forever just to pick up his damn call. She was a detective and didn't know how to pick up for an emergency. Plus he had already been in a bitter mood after Louisa had been radio silent. It was like Saturday had been an 'ignore Duke Crocker' type of day.

"I gotta tell you. Your emergency response time leaves something to be desired," Duke sarcastically let out directed at Audrey and Nathan. The three of them had slowed in their steps as they got nearer to Duke. Louisa's jaw dropped slightly in disbelief at what she was seeing.

Duke looked like he had aged 10 to 20 years. There was evident graying in his brown hair and wrinkles forming on his face.

"Crap," Duke let out once he sensed them slow in their step. Taking in that the situation he was in could be more serious than he thought. "I'm gonna die, aren't I?" Duke questioned. Louisa's stomach felt like it knotted.

Die? No. That can't be.

"Duke, when I couldn't make it to our dinner, you met up with somebody else didn't you?" Audrey asked, she had a hunch that his lead of Helena was a much more than just something he overheard.