Ama had run into her sister Alicia on the doorstep the night before. The whole family was residing in the house like old times, except it was nothing like old times.

Alicia and Ama didn't have a lot to do with each other. Ama worked in London but often travelled for her work, and never went to the family home. Her apartment was the one place she owned outright.

Alicia had only been 10 when her sister left home. Since then, her parents had only shown disappointment towards their eldest, and Alicia couldn't help but hope she didn't turn out the same.

'Morning.' Ama stepped into the kitchen barefoot, white silken robe tied at her waist. 'Sleep okay?'

'Yep.' Alicia replied, attention buried in her social notifications.

Ama brewed her coffee in silence, stretching slowly as the sun began to filter into the open area. 'Why are you up so early Alicia?' she asked.

'Couldn't sleep.' Alicia muttered, contradicting her earlier reply.

Ama snorted softly.

'What?' Alicia retorted, looking up from her phone for the first time that morning. 'What's funny?'

'Nothing.' Ama smiled to herself. 'Do you want some coffee?'

Alicia narrowed her eyes at her older sister. 'Sure.'

They sat in silence. Ama basked in the taste of the fresh hot coffee before she had to head into town to meet Bianca. Alicia watched her sister, half expecting a drunken mess or a bored rich girl. Her sister was neither.

'Why are mum and dad always saying you are a disappointment?' Alicia asked, breaking the silence.

'That's rude.' Ama opened her eyes. 'Did they not teach you manners yet?'

Alicia seemed unfazed by Ama's question, and continued to stare at her as she waited for an answer.

Ama sighed. 'They call me a disappointment because I didn't study Law and become Jack's company lawyer.'

'Why didn't you do that? Seems like an easy gig and a way in to some good money.' Alicia frowned harder.

'Because law doesn't interest me. Well,' Ama grinned mostly to herself, 'fighting for the law to be upheld bores me. I know a lot about the law, in some parts.'

'What does that mean?'

'How about you ask a question of mine first.' Ama shook her head, leaning forward on the table and looking directly at her younger sister. 'Why are you so rude?'

'I'm not rude.' The younger girl rolled her eyes.

'So, you're just a brat that doesn't realize that money doesn't get you everything?' Ama tilted her head. 'Asking someone why they're a disappointment to someone is rude. If you want to know that information, find another way to get it. Put the puzzle together in your own head, don't be lazy.'

Alicia stared at her for a moment. 'Isn't that a little under the table?'

'Perhaps. But at least it isn't outright rude.' Ama nodded her head, signalling the end of the conversation. 'I'm going to the market shortly to meet someone. Would you like to go?'

'To meet someone with you? No thanks.'

Ama stared at her sister, wondering if she was playing dumb. Perhaps she had just never really been challenged.

'No. I wouldn't so easily invite you to a business meeting. I meant to the market. Get you out of the house, away from Maria and Jack. I know you spend a lot of time in their presence, maybe you need some time out of it.' Ama washed her cup and placed it in the empty dishwasher shelf.