B̶r̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶. "Stop being a smart ass will you?" He rolled his eyes. H̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶. "That's my job."

She quirked a challenging eyebrow. Fought back a smile. "Really now?"

He nodded his head confidently. "As real as real can get real."

She let a laugh slip through her lips before she composed herself, her lips fighting back a smile once more. "Are you indirectly calling me stupid?"

He shrugged. Looked up. "I'm not really calling you that smart either,"

She frowned. Smiled. Quirked an eyebrow. "Should I be pleased?"

D̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶. "Well you shouldn't be offended either," He told her. D̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶. 

And then it was as though she couldn't hold it in any longer, she laughed. 

I̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶d̶.̶ ̶

He didn't know whether it was the way she always seemed to close her eyes because she was laughing too hard, or whether it was because of the little giggle that seemed to slip through those lips, but it was just so absolutely beautiful that he couldn't help but admire

I̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶y̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶

"I'm sorry," She told him, before she went into another fit of giggles. "I just couldn't help myself,"

H̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶ "I tend to do that to people,"

She was smiling again, this time her brown eyes were sparkling. H̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶.̶ ̶ "Confident are we DeGarner?"

"Not at all McLean," He replied. "Just stating facts." 

A̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶p̶l̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶f̶.̶ ̶ "Well I like it," She said. "Somehow it suits you."

He fought a smile. "Calling me conceited and narcissistic now?"

Her eyes gleamed. D̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶L̶o̶r̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶r̶c̶y̶. She grinned. "Perhaps I am."

He pressed his lips together, h̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶, before he nodded his head. "Your call, don't blame me if you somehow catch me admiring myself in the mirror," He internally slapped himself for that one. 

"Is that really what narcissists do?" She was smiling, almost laughing. "Somehow I always picture them gelling up their hair or adding another layer of lip gloss."

"So you want me to put lip gloss on?"

"No,"

"Why not?" D̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶,̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶,̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶.̶ ̶

But she did though. Rose let out perhaps the most heart warming laugh he ever heard. It was one that was from the bottom of her heart, entirely from her tummy as she leaned her head back and giggled. It did kind of caught him off guard, but it felt absolutely beautiful. H̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶r̶e̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶y̶. And he wondered whether he looked as nice when he laughed.