Mellow Mornings

I wake up the next morning with a raging headache and little to no memory last night. I go to pick up my phone but I see a little slip of paper beside my phone. I grab both my phone and the piece of paper, unfolding it slowly. 

It has a written number on it with the words call me. I should, I know I should. I did spend most of the night with Adam, I remember a little bit after downing my fifth beer. Jackson had volunteered him to take me home.

I remember getting into his truck but after that is fuzzy. All I get are small snippets of the night. The occasional skin to skin contact, I remember kissing him. The feeling of his hair in my fingers, but I can't remember our conversations. 

Fuck. Okay. 

I dial the number and listen to the dial tone for a few seconds before he answers. "Jasmine?" He asks. 

"Adam, what did I do last night? What did we do?" I ask breathlessly. He releases a quiet, sad sigh. 

"You don't remember," he whispers with realization. The sadness in his voice makes my heart pounds so loud I can hear it in my ears as a feeling of unease settles into my stomach. We did something that he very obviously wishes I'd remember. "Nothing happened. I walked you in, we shared a few kisses, I left." 

There isn't anyone I could ask to confirm it. My mom maybe? I sigh and lean into my pillow, going through my day step by step, desperately hoping that I can remember what happened. There was the hockey game, and then after that, there was a conversation between Adam and his coach. 

I remember that. I had opened the door and listened. I remember his desperate pleads to be able to play. What was the reason? An injury doesn't sound right, and drugs doesn't either. Although I did catch him smoking but that wasn't what the conversation was about. 

It was about his grades. Yes, I remember that. Gods he was cute. And quite nice to me as well. "I can help you study," I tell him. He's silent for a beat. 

"Would you?"

"Yes." He chuckles quietly but doesn't say any more. I click my tongue and rise from my bed, leaving my room. "Hold a moment, Adam." He hums but goes silent. I turn the corner of my hallway to find my house completely barren. I hurry over to a sheet of paper pinned up on the fridge and take it down, silently reading it.

"You alright Jas?"

I hum, "fine but uh, you should come over. My family isn't coming home for another, I dunno, two days give or take." 

His end goes silent and I wait for him to answer. "Thought you'd never ask. I'll be there in an hour." And with that, the line ends. That's the answer I wanted, more or less. I expected him to say he'd be here later, not now per say but I'll take what I can get. 

I have an hour. I head into the bathroom, grabbing a bathing suit and hanging it up on the back of the bathroom door. I turn on the shower and strip down. I step into the shower, the hot steam hitting my skin before the water does. I release a quiet sigh and let it beat down on me for a few seconds, adjusting to the temperature. 

I scrub my skin until it's raw, and even considering how nervous I am about him coming over, there's some underlying thrill in him being here. It makes me smile just thinking about seeing him again.

I shut off the water and step out of the shower, wrapping my towel around me. I hadn't washed my hair for the plan of heading out into the pool. 

I put on the bikini that I had hung up and step out of the bathroom. I walk through the empty house and open the door to the deck, out to the pool. I dip my foot into the warm saltwater pool.