Episode One: Eye of the Storm

Start from the beginning

As the two friends raced southward, a flash of lightning illuminated the night to reveal the silhouettes of people running about. Even when the lightning faded, Romulo saw the fiery light of a fierce battle in the south. The city rumbled with a series of loud crashes, drowning out the constant thunder.

With a resolute grunt, Romulo stopped in his tracks and swerved around. As he sprinted away from his friend, he shouted over the pouring rain, "Someone needs to stop the monster on shore! Good luck in your fight!"

Even as he raced past frightened people and ran through alleyways, Romulo could practically feel his old friend's desire to retort. He could practically hear Altair's frustration from a distance, but he cleared this thought from his mind when he saw the scarlet glow of distant fire. He accelerated his run, jumped over a bench, and dashed down a brick road that led straight to the sea. Even from a distance, he could see fiery light dancing on the crashing waves. The powerful storm had angered the ocean, but even the downpour could not extinguish the flames. Romulo could smell both the petrichor of rain and stench of distant fire, but he narrowed his eyes to fight through his exhaustion.

After minutes of running, Romulo emerged onto the beach with a look of shock. Flames fought against the pouring rain as they crept across seaside shops, and blinding wind tore the sand from the beach. A towering figure stood in the heart of the chaos, surrounded by a vortex of gusting sand and spiraling rain. A mother and her child screamed as they pushed their way out of a burning building. Powerful waves slammed ashore and devoured the beach.

"Rampager! Can you speak? I know this is a longshot, but why are you doing this?!" Romulo shouted at the sorcerer in the heart of the vortex.

The sorcerer stared back but said nothing, leaving Romulo to contemplate his next move. But as he saw the state of the burning buildings, he decided that he could not waste any time on figuring out his enemy. He instead reached into his jacket pocket and extracted a blue monolith. After taking a deep breath, he tapped his knuckles upon it with enough force to make it ring. The stone vibrated in his hand until he set it down upon the wet sand.

"I've heard that most Rampagers escape their conjurer's control, but I don't think that's the case here. I think they released you just to cause this chaos. Not that it matters; you don't understand a word I say. I'll have to stop you in the only way I know how. With my Ice Crystal Barricade," Romulo announced as a blue glow ascended from his monolith.

                In that moment, an enormous structure of ice materialized in the heart of the swirling energy

In that moment, an enormous structure of ice materialized in the heart of the swirling energy. Romulo felt the temperature plummet as the sorcerer he conjured took a forward step. As it advanced, it froze the wet sand beside it. Even the enemy sorcerer watched with intrigue as the icy behemoth approached. Though he shivered, Romulo quickly sifted through the spell cards in his bag until he found two he could use. He passed them to his living wall of ice just before it moved too far away.