Chapter 24: The Concert

Start from the beginning

They gave me their own share of enthusiastic hugs and salutations. 

“We are so happy you came,” Quincy exclaimed. “I was worried you wouldn't come because we're getting back late.”

I laughed. 

Internally I fought the voices in my head which reminded me of the risk I was taking. Those voices were warning me one final time that there was still enough time for me to turn back and forget that any of this even happened with a good night's sleep.

But I stubbornly ignored it and persisted. 

“I'm glad I came… I mean, I didn't know you guys would be so happy to see me.”

“Why wouldn't we be happy to see you?” Allison furrowed her eyebrows. “You're adorable and fun to tease.” She grinned and my chest warmed at her sweet words.

“Plus, we love hearing your stomach act like a ravenous animal that had been hibernating for months.”

My cheeks coloured pink and I hit Charles on the arm playfully. 

“I thought you would stop with that tired joke by now.” I whined and he grinned cheekily at me.

“Hey!” Mary exclaimed, a playful glint lit up her bright blue eyes under the omniscient show of white coloured lights from the tall street lamps. “That's my boyfriend you're hitting. Only I get to abuse him.”

Allison shoved Charles lightly and I couldn't help the chuckle that escaped my throat.

“Oh please, Mary. I think you mean ‘our boyfriend’ since he's my part time lover when you're not around. So I also have the right to abuse him whenever I please.”

“Oh ladies, ladies,” Charles intervened, stepping in-between them. “No need to argue, there's enough Charles for everyone to get a taste of.”

Mary's eyes sharpened into thin slits and she grabbed his ear in-between her index finger and her thumb harshly. 

Charles cried out in pain and the rest of us guffawed as Mary sent a string of not so kind words his way.

Quincy rolled his eyes at them after silently watching their playful banter from beside me.
He shook his head playfully. “I wonder how you guys are my friends. You never argue over me and my good looks.”

Allison scoffed loudly at him. 

“Go get a life Quincy, you're just jealous because Charles is more good-looking than you'll ever be.”

Quincy's loud laughter rung out over the pounding music and even though Allison's remark had been playful, I didn't miss the tiny dip her eyes made over Quincy's well put together outfit and his handsome face.

Her eyes caught mine and she glanced away… sheepishly?

Hm? I'll have to ask her about that later on when the boys are busy chatting it up and acting a fool of themselves.

“So shall we go in?” Mary said, slightly bouncing on her feet. Charles rubbed the ear that she had gripped painfully. I'm surprised she didn't rip off his entire ear judging from the death grip she had used on him

“Yeah, I have the tickets set and ready.” Quincy motioned his head to the small, crispy looking tickets with curvy ends which he held up for us to see.

We stood in a queue and got through within a minute or two, surprisingly. While we were waiting to be verified entrance through the scarily large gate, I half expected the guards to whip out heavy, metal battens and demand we show them our ID’s. But they didn't.