Chapter- 11

Valerie jerked up, she pushed her numb leg to touch the floor, she wobbly walked to the door, before falling down.

Lucas got up; his eyes fixed on Valerie.

"Val?" Lucas asked, in the middle of a yawn. "Where are you going?"

Lucas ran to her aid, helping her up, and quickly rushing her to her bed.

"No." Valerie said, wiggling out of Lucas's hand, her body thudding on the cold, hard ground. She used the bed to get help her stand, then held Lucas's shoulder for balance.

"I heard something." She told.

Valerie steadied herself, and let Lucas go, she slowly tiptoed towards the door, Lucas cautiously moving behind her.

Lucas grabbed a sharp-edged vase from the room, he was not sure if Valerie was strong enough to face the monster again.

When they finally stepped out of their room, the sight was disappointing.

There was nothing there.

Except...

"Here." Valerie said, using her finger to wipe a drop of blood off the floor, she then showed it to Lucas.

"There's no body though." Lucas pointed out, trying to keep Valerie steady, since she was trembling, he leaned her against the wall.

"It was here." Valerie confirmed. "I heard it, we were just too late."

"The monster couldn't have dragged a body or have gotten into the motel without somebody seeing it." Lucas said.

"Maybe that's why it killed." Valerie told. "Somebody must've seen it, or the monster just killed the person for fun, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have mercy."

"There's another one." Valerie said, picking up another drop of blood from the ground. "There's also one on the wall, who ever this was, they must've put up a fight."

"Or maybe there was more than on person." Lucas suggested, pausing at a sight on the ground.

"What is it?" Valerie asked.

Lucas picked the small piece up.

"It's a bullet, whoever was killed had a gun."

"Think the people were from the asylum." Lucas questioned; Valerie's face had immediately turned pale.

"I- I don't know."

The people in the asylum had never been good to her, not even her own father, who she wasn't even sure was her father, because he looked nothing like her, and was too old for her to be his daughter.

Still, they were the only family she had known, for twelve years.

Definitely not a good one.

"We are not to be playing detective here." Valerie told, a certain roughness in her voice.

Lucas walked further, ignoring her words, Valerie stiffly followed him, her expression was a mix between fear and annoyance.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm following the blood." Lucas told.

Valerie hadn't even realised that there were more drops of blood, which Lucas was following, all the way to a 'EMPLOYEES ONLY' room.

Lucas slowly opened the door, and Valerie was preparing herself to use her powers, for whatever was inside.

When the door fully creaked open, Lucas had expected to see a torn-out body, but instead all that was there, was a gun, with blood on it. Beside that gun were many other things including a badge.

Valerie picked the badge up; she recognised the logo.

"The asylum." Valerie said, running her hand through the badge.

"There's no body, but there were people." Lucas pointed out. "Maybe they got away."

Valerie shook her head.

"We came out the moment those horrid screams were heard, whoever that was, they couldn't have gotten away, without us hearing them. It looks like they were hiding, no person fighting a monster would leave a powerful weapon."

"It isn't safe for us here anymore, first the asylum, and nowthe monster knows where we are." Lucas said.

Valerie hadn't even thought of that.

"No matter where we go, they will always find us."

"That seems to be an issue." Lucas told, his expressions becoming tired, probably from running away, for what seemed like months.

"How long has it even been since we left." Valerie asked.

"I don't know, maybe about a week." Lucas replied.

"We should go now."

Valerie turned to open the door.

"It's locked!" Valerie said, panicked.

"What?" Lucas questioned, running beside her, and trying to open the door, it wouldn't budge.

"It's locked from outside." Valerie realised, her voice getting jumpy, and panicked.

"How?" Lucas asked. "No one knows we are inside here, for all they know, we are sleeping in our room... I- I"

"Apparently someone does, gosh we are so stupid. Why would we walk into a dark room right now? We didn't even consider a possibility that this could have just been a trap, the asylum knows where we are, and there are no bodies."

Lucas was at a loss for words.

"Stand back." Valerie said, pulling both her hands out and screaming.

The door flew open.

"I don't get it." Lucas told. "No one is there... but someone locked it from the outside."

"DUCK!" Valerie screamed, pulling Lucas down, as a bullet came flying right at them. Lucas ran inside the room and grabbed the gun.

"You have caused quite the mess." A man said, coming out of the dark shadows.

Doctor Williams appeared, walking towards Valerie.

Lucas ran in front of her, holding the gun. Valerie was busy trying to keep herself from passing out, her legs were giving up on her.

"You don't want to do that, boy." Doctor Williams warned.

"Do what? Pull the trigger?" Lucas sarcastically asked.

"You don't know who, or what you are dealing with." Doctor Williams told, pulling out a gun of his own.

"Was this all a set up?" Valerie questioned, her voice breaking. "The monster."

"What monster?" Doctor Williams asked.

"Do not play fool with me." Valerie screamed. "The monster who almost ended my life, the one you pretended to be just now."

"I never pretended to be anything." Doctor Williams told.

"Oh, yea then... what is that?!"

Valerie pointed to the blood on the ground, and the badge in the room.

"I- I" Doctor Williams stuttered.

"Valerie." He said, his eyes becoming teary, and his grip on the gun tightened.

"That's not me."

Author's note:
Hope you all like the chapter.
Why is Dr. Williams get all teary eyed? Is Valerie just an experiment to him or does he actually love her?

Await for the upcoming chapters to know more.

Thanks,
aspiring_writer