Your Beauty Never Ever Scared Me

*Listen to the song while reading, it makes the chapter so much better. (The chorus bit is at 2:41)*

Prologue

"Shijie!" Wen Ning screamed, bound down by chains that jabbed into his skin.

"A-Ning, it's okay, everything will be fine." Wen Qing smiled through tears flowing like waterfalls. She was tied up by ropes stuck on a cross while being hung over a fire that would soon burn her to death.

"Feed the fire, for we shall rid of these demons!" Jin Guangshan yelled to the all the clans standing before him.

"LET HER GO!" Wen Ning screeched, attempting to get closer to his elder sister in a result of his chains tightening around his throat.

"A-Ning! Please remember, we are doctors, we help people. Always do what's right and be kind. Your Shijie loves you very much, find A-yuan and take care of him!" Those were Wen Qing's last words before the inferno swallowed her whole, leaving ashes that were scattered around to prevent her from being a corpse.

Tear stained, throat hoarse, Wen Qionglin sat there broken. He felt empty. No more sister to protect him. He had no one to hug when sad, no one to cry to. He was all alone in the universe. No heart left to love.

"Hey, look guys! Let's kill the Wen's little puny brother!" A group of Lanling Jin soldiers laughed and kicked him around.

Wen Ning did not respond or react.

In fact, he let them stab him. He had no reason to live anymore. No one to care for him, and no one for him to care for. As the gang pushed him to the brick slabs and pierced a spear through his heart, he closed his eyes, but then was hit with his sister's last words.

"Find A-Yuan and take care of him."

Then he slept in cold darkness.

Story

The black sky had a million white shards pierced into it, like the many holes in Wen Qionglin's life that were once filled but taken from him.

He had come back from the dead... somehow.

He was not too sure on how Senior Wei brought him back with a song on his flute, but he decided not to overthink it. Once he regained consciousness, the first thing he did was look for Wen Yuan. He would do anything for his Shijie, but he could not bear to think about her anymore. It just hurt too much. (In result of that, he spent days roaming around forests only to go back to Senior Wei once more. Not intentionally, but by the call of Chenqing.)

His dead life was quite simple: find Wen Yuan.

A few months later, after fighting the puppets at Yiling, everyone waited for boats to arrive to take them to Yunmeng. Apparently, one of the Gusulan juniors were seasick, and everyone was confused at why a LAN was SEASICK (because they were northerners.) When he turned to look at the junior, Deja vu hit him hard.

As if it were second nature to him, Wen Ning then started to approach the juniors.

"G-ghost general!" Ouyang Zizhen cried, stumbling back into a cursing Jingyi, "What does he want?"

Jin Ling's eyes were filled with hatred and rage, he kept a hand on his sword and was ready to kill his father's murderer in a nanosecond.

"Why is Ghost General here!?" Jingyi whispered to Ouyang.

"Can it be that he's going to share the boat with us?" Ouyang replied, face creasing with worry.

"Who knows, shouldn't he be with Senior Wei?" Jingyi regained composure and glared at Wen Ning.

He stepped closer as the juniors backed away in fright, except for Jinling and Sizhui.

"Wha... what's your name?" Wen Ning asked, taking a few steps back.

"I'm a disciple of the Lan Clan of Gusu. My name is Lan Yuan." Sizhui bowed and clasped his hands together.

That voice... sounded so familiar but grown up.

"Do you know who gave you your name?" Wen Ning's eyes widened with realisation as he asked.

"Naturally, of course it's from my parents."

"Are you parents still alive?"

Hearing the suspicious question of the Ghost General, Jin Ling's hand gripped onto his father's sword until his knuckles were white.

"My parents passed away when I was little."

"S-sizhui... Sizhui is your courtesy name?" Wen Ning urged, tears slowly building up in his eyes, "Who gave you that name?" He continued after Sizhui nodded.

"Hanguang Jun."

His memories flooded back, all the puzzle pieces joined together.

"Mr. Wen. Is there anything wrong with my name?" Sizhui asked, concerned.

"No... nothing at all... just that... you look very similar to one of my distant relatives. So how have you been? Hanguang Jun must have been very nice to you."

"I've been living well. Hanguang Jun is like a father to me. He taught me how to play the Gu Qin."

"How old were you when Hanguang Jun started to take care of you?"

"Four or five, but he seemed to be isolating himself for a few years."

Wen Ning then knew, this child was Wen Yuan. He immediately took out A-yuan's paper butterfly that he loved to play with as a child and handed it over to Sizhui. Then, Lan Yuan's eyes clouded as he took out the exact same paper butterfly.

It was clear as crystal, and his mission that his Shijie set him was complete.

Then, Jin Ling pushed Sizhui beside and held his sword to Wen Ning's chest, which brought back a lot of trauma for both of them.

"Jin Ling! It's okay, put the sword down!" Sizhui shouted over the sudden commotion that roused up everyone.

"No! It's my father's sword! I'll never put it down!" Jin Ling replied and then dropped to the floor, clutching the sword, and wailing.

"Brat! What have you done! Who made you cry?" The Sandu Shengshou suddenly boomed.

"Nothing uncle!" Jin Ling sprang up and wiped off his tears at his Uncle's voice, scared for the punishment.

"I swear, I'll break your legs one day." Jiang Cheng muttered, shoving his nephew into his boat.

After arriving at Lotus Pier, Sizhui decided to accompany Wen Ning. They talked and talked about their lives, and at the end, Lan Sizhui too realised his true identity. Before they parted, he hugged his uncle.

Shocked by the sudden embrace, Wen Ning felt a wave of emotions. He was overjoyed that he fulfilled his Shijie's request but felt a melancholy feeling of depression as he thought about his deceased family. This hug though? He hadn't been shown affection like this for years, and this sudden warmth filled the gaping hole in his heart.

"But... A-yuan... shouldn't you be scared?" Wen Ning was suddenly perplexed. He was a corpse, a ghost. Cultivators loathed him, and the other corpses envied him for his power.

"No. Why should I be? You're the only blood related relative I have now." Wen Yuan replied quietly, now staring into Wen Ning's eyes.

*Cue the music "Your Beauty Never Ever Scared Me."*

Under the moonlight, there they were.

A nephew.

An uncle.

Reunited to never part again.

Note:

Hi readers! Just to let you know, the dialogue between Wen Ning and Sizhui was actually based on the Untamed episodes, AKA the 陈情令 script. Tysm for reading!