Chapter 1 - Philosopher's Stone

TEN YEARS LATER - ELLA'S POV

It was another horrible morning as I was woken up by the sound of knocking on the small cupboard door under the stairs that my twin, Harry, and I shared.

"Up! Get up!" my aunt Petunia shouted as Harry and I grabbed our glasses. There was another knock before a final shout, "Now!"

I sighed as our aunt smacked the door before I heard her footsteps walking away. We then heard banging from above us on the stairs as we sat up.

"Wake up, cousins! We're going to the zoo!" Dudley yelled as he laughed. Harry just rolled his eyes and gestured for me to open the door once we both stood. However, before I could even take a proper step into the hallway, I was shoved back into Harry as Dudley laughed and slammed the door on us.

"I'm sorry," I apologised as I got off my brother. "You ok?"

"I'm alright, you?" Harry replied.

"I'm ok."

With small smiles, Harry and I helped each other up before walking after Dudley to the kitchen.

"Oh, here he comes, the birthday boy!" Aunt Petunia excitedly greeted her son.

"Happy birthday, son," Uncle Vernon added from the kitchen table as Harry and I entered the room. Aunt Petunia was giving Dudley butterfly kisses when she saw us and turned to me,

"Why don't you just cook the breakfast and try not to burn anything."

"Yes, Aunt Petunia," I answered with an unamused tone as I moved to finish cooking the bacon.

"I want everything to be perfect for my Dudley's special day."

As Aunt Petunia brought Dudley over to the family room, Harry started to grab Uncle Vernon's coffee when our uncle got impatient,

"Hurry up! Bring my coffee, boy!"

"Yes, Uncle Vernon," Harry replied swiftly with the same tone as me.

"Aren't they wonderful, darling?" Aunt Petunia asked my cousin, who took a few moments to answer,

"How many are there?"

"Thirty-six. Counted 'em myself," Uncle Vernon proudly stated as Harry and I came over with the coffee and breakfast.

"Thirty-six?! But last year-! Last year I had thirty-seven!"

Harry and I looked at one another with unimpressed expressions as Uncle Vernon tried to explain himself to Dudley,

"Yes, well, some of them are quite a bit bigger than last year."

"I don't care how big they are!"

"Oh, now, now, now," Aunt Petunia cooed, "This is what we're going to do, is that when we go out, we're going to buy you two new presents! How's that, Pumpkin?"

I shook my head and subtly rolled my eyes at my cousin's bratty behaviour before everyone focused on breakfast.

After everyone had gotten ready, we all left the house to get in the car and go to the zoo.

"This will be a lovely day at the zoo," Aunt Petunia happily stated as she opened her door. "I'm really looking forward to it."

Just as Harry was about to open the door for us to get in, Uncle Vernon stopped him and threatened,

"I'm warning you now, twins. Any funny business, any at all, and you won't have any meals for a week. Get in."

I looked at Harry with a pout before he placed his hand on my shoulder and moved us toward the car again.