The lake

1400's, Bulgarian

"Katerina, not so fast!" One of the Petrova sisters yells to the other. They're both laughing. It's a good day. The sun is shining bright this afternoon, which makes their skin glow in the sunlight. The sisters look beautiful, as always. They jump of their horses as soon as they get to this incredibly beautiful lake. First, both of them make sure the horses are tied to a tree so they can't get away. After that they take their shoes off and walk over to the lake so their feet can slightly touch the water. The cold water makes them shiver a little at first - but after a while they get used to it.

"The water is colder than last month," Amandine mumbles, and her sister agrees. It was almost winter, and the Petrova sisters noticed how the nature changed along with the weather. The lake water got a little bit colder every month - as it was November now. They also can't stay here at the lake as long as they did before, since the days are starting to get shorter.

"Did mother ever let you go trade chicken in the village?" Katerine asked her sister. Amandine shakes her head no. Most of the time she helped her mother with cooking and cleaning all the time.

"I met someone there, Amandine. He's very noble," Katerina says quietly, being a little scared that her sister would get mad.

"Kat, you know that mother nor father will except this, right?" Amandine responds. Katerine nods.

"They don't believe in love in this life, sestra mi. Life is too cruel."

"Exactly Amandine; life is too cruel. But if we cease to believe in love, why would we want to live?" Katerina says, looking at her sister with a worried look in her eyes.

Amandine looks up from the water and stares at Katerina - trying to realize what her sister just told her. It was for sure the most beautiful thing Katerina Petrova has ever said. She knew she was right. Life isn't a wish-granting factory. We all need something to hold on to, someting to look forward to. Love is one of those things. It gives you hope in times when you need it the most. Love will keep you going. You will fight for the person you love, no matter what it takes. It's a source for all of your happiness. And that truly is a beautiful thing.