Chapter 13: Kill The Spector

Start from the beginning

With great effort, I managed to slip out of bed without disturbing her, making my way to the window in search of solace. The cool morning air brushed against my skin, offering a brief respite from the storm raging within. I quickly got dressed and left the bedroom.

I pushed open the doors to the meeting room, finding Wave and Kurome already awake and waiting.

"Yo. Did you sleep well last n-" Wave started, but his words trailed off as he noticed my exhausted expression. "Nevermind. Looks like you didn't," he observed, his tone sympathetic.

I grumbled in response, too preoccupied with the events of last night to engage in small talk.

"Hey, did you hear that we're supposed to get a new addition to the Jaegers?" Wave continued, attempting to change the subject. I shook my head, my mind still reeling from the turmoil of the previous evening.

Lost in my thoughts, I found my gaze lingering on Kurome. There was something about her that felt familiar - her aura, her name...

"You can't have any!" she exclaimed suddenly, clutching her bag of treats protectively. Startled, I blinked in response and raised my hands in a gesture of surrender, realising I had been zoning out.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but has anyone ever told you that you look similar to Akame from the wanted posters?" I ventured, unable to shake the uncanny resemblance.

"I was thinking the exact same thing!" exclaimed Wave, his eyes widening in realization.

Kurome's expression darkened at the mention of her sister. "Yeah. She was the most accomplished member of our society, but as you know she betrayed the empire. I want to meet her so badly. And then..." Her smile turned sinister. "... My beloved elder sister will receive her death by my own hands."

Just as Kurome spoke those chilling words, the doors swung open to reveal a new arrival.

A man in his thirties stood before us, dressed in mercenary gear with a scar over his left eye. "Uh, hello? Is this where the Jaegers meet?" he asked, uncertainty evident in his voice. Wave and Kurome nodded in response, and he stepped forward, offering his hand to Wave.

"Marc Spector. I've been added to the group under the orders of Prime Minister Honest," he explained, his voice steady despite the situation.

"Why's that?" Wave inquired, curiosity piqued.

"Because he's going to help us with the Moon Knight."

The answer came not from Marc, but from Esdeath herself, who stood imposingly at the doorway.

"(F/N)! For the next few days, we'll be going hunting. We're heading to Mt. Fake," she announced, her voice carrying authority.

A hand settled on my shoulder, and I knew it was Khonshu's guidance. "This could be your chance to escape. You can always deal with her later," he whispered, his voice a reassuring presence in my mind.

Esdeath continued, outlining the plan for the hunt. "Wave, Kurome, and Marc will be coming with us as well. Mt. Fake is the perfect place for an ambush, so keep your eyes open for enemies while hunting."

"Until evening, we'll be hunting for Treeman cells. Kurome, Wave, and myself will search the east side, while (F/N) and Marc will search the west side," she instructed, her gaze flickering towards Kurome and Wave.

I tuned out their conversation, focusing instead on plotting my escape. The opportunity had presented itself, and I needed to seize it before it slipped away.

=============--------------===============

"So..." Marc started as we walked along a mountain cliff.