《 29. Roka Ceremony 》

J A N A K I

I was going through the argument preparations for the next hearing of the Rahul's case with my team, when Maasa entered my office room.

"You are sitting here doing your work, while downstairs the wedding card people have come, let's go and select our side of card." She informed me.

I nodded my head at her and arranging the documents I followed her.

Tonight was my Roka where I and Raghav were going to make each other eat jaggery and coriander seeds (gaud dhaana ) as per the tradition. This is a low key ceremony which will only be attended by close family members as the official ring ceremony will happen on the night of sangeet as agreed by both of the families.

The sequence for the rituals has been decided and thus the same has to be printed on the wedding cards and they need to quickly distributed. Hence tonight the cards would be printed and from tomorrow afternoon they would be distributed by Maasa and Babasa.

I descended down the staircase and looked over at the myriad options of ivory, pale yellow, brown gold and etc. colors.

I trudged towards them and started segregating them and there I found a unique one in silver with ochre hues that bordered the texture and I smelled it, it emitted a lavender fragrance and there I got my wedding card decided.

Later that afternoon I was getting ready for the gaud dhaana, I had decided to wear Maasa's wedding choli for my roka and for the wedding it was a golden lehenga - choli.

My hair and make up was done, I was feeling elated as I am finally getting married to the man I love and I know that he would keep me happy. 

The clock struck 5:30 p.m. and the shubh muhurat was also of the same time.

Someone knocked on the door to my room and from my peripheral vision I saw Maasa coming towards me.

She gestured her hand towards me and taking it I stood up from the chair and the reddish orange choli spread down its length and touched the floor.

She smiled warmly at me and said,"My daughter has grown up to wear my wedding choli in her engagement, Janaki why did you have to grow up so fast?"

I smiled slightly at her question and replied," Maasa what is bound to happen would eventually happen and its not that I am getting married today itself I still am going to stay for 5 days."

She pursed her lips and replied, "My lado is soon going to leave us."

I hugged her and replied,"How can I leave you when you live in my heart? I am always going to be one call away. Plus, I will visit you both every two months to check if you are taking your medicines on time or if you are doing regular physical activities or not."

She chuckled and said,"Sure, Dr. Janaki."

I trudged downstairs in my heavy red choli.

The entire living room was lit with golden lights and pale pink mandap decorations.  I could smell garlands of marigold, along with roses which hung on the walls. It now felt like a house where marriage would happen.

Babasa was instructing a handful of workers who were arranging the sweet and chocolate hampers, while Maasa was no where to be seen.