Humbled

Meet Aunt Laire, a woman with the full name of Nancy Lary Laire, who is married to Micheal Laire. She is known for being the half-sister of the duchess and has a controversial reputation due to her speech at her father's wedding. During the event, she completely humiliated the bride, an act that was considered to be beyond normal. She brought her private thoughts to life and made them public for everyone to see. Despite her actions, Aunt Laire remains an interesting and complex individual.

Mark and Asa walked into the Duke's grand office. Mark looked down in respect, while Asa kept her head high and looked at the Duke disdainfully. Her expression was one of arrogance and contempt, befitting the daughter of a wealthy merchant.

"What a peasant," she muttered under her breath. "You got me into this situation," she said, turning to Mark with an accusatory look.

"You were the one who almost disabled me!" Mark replied in a harsh whisper.

"You were the one that threw..." Asa started but was cut off by the Duke's loud voice.

"Quiet!" he shouted. Mark bowed his head again, but Asa rolled her eyes. "No one shall be disabled in this mansion," the Duke declared. "Mark, you almost disabled my son's fiancé, and you dare speak? I thought you were loyal, but you do this! Go outside and await your punishment."

Asa chuckled, covering her face to hide her laughter. Mark glared at her before obediently heading outside. The Duke then turned to Asa. "And you..."

"Man, the way you humbled him made me have goosebumps," she laughed. But after seeing the Duke's serious face, she stopped.

"Asa, you are my son's fiancé, and you are pulling off these stunts?" he said, his voice stern.

"Well, it was in self-defense," Asa stated. "I could have done much worse, but because it was in your mansion, I decided to leave him be."

"Your father asked me to keep you away from your...old ways, but it seems you ended up going back," the Duke sighed. "As your punishment, you shall accompany Maria and Alexander to Madam Laire's party."

"No, no, no. Not that woman," Asa said, her tone full of dread. "Anywhere, just not that woman."

"Yes, and I will make sure she deals with you," the Duke said. Asa's legs started shaking. But why? Aunt Laire couldn't be that bad, could she?