Unimportant Pt. 3

Start from the beginning

"That's what I do." You answered softly.

"I know, sweetheart. Try to keep your brain from going into overdrive tomorrow. It'll make things worse. It's just a talk. You can leave when you want and if it starts to go south, text me and I'll be there." He smiled sweetly and pulled one hand from the steering wheel to cover your clasped hands that were lying in your lap.

Xander pulled up outside your townhouse and placed the car in park before turning to face you. He gave you another beaming smile and you couldn't help but return it with a wide smile of your own. While you were busy freaking out over your talk with Bucky, Xander was busy having his own freak out over what he had to tell you. He wanted to talk over dinner and get your opinion, but you were both having such a good time that it didn't feel right to talk about it then.

"I have to tell you something, Y/n. I didn't want to mention it during dinner because I didn't want to ruin our night, but—I'm leaving New York. I finally got the promotion and I'm being transferred to the London office. I fly out the day after tomorrow. I know it's fast, but they want me to start as soon as possible." He said, a sad smile playing on his lips.

Your eyes widened as you looked at him. Xander had been working for this promotion long before he met you. It was something he had dreamed of since starting with his company and you were always there to encourage him when he wanted to give up. You were happy for him, but it was also bittersweet. You would miss him.

"I'm happy for you, Xander. Really. I know how hard you've worked for this."

"But..." He said.

"But I'm going to miss you."

"I'll still come visit. Plus, you have Nat. She's your best friend and I'm sure she'll be happy that she doesn't have to share you anymore." He chuckled.

"I know, but that doesn't mean I'll miss you any less. You may not realize it, but you're my best friend, too." You said as tears welled in your eyes.

Xander cupped your cheek and swiped his thumb underneath your eye to wipe away the stray tear that fell. The truth was that he cared for you in a way that exceeded friendship. He wasn't looking for a relationship at first, but he had fallen in love with you quickly. He could never understand why Bucky would push you away, no matter the circumstances.

You cared about those you loved and went out of your way to make sure they were happy and well taken care of. Your smile was bright and warm, even on your worst days, and you were completely unaware of how beautiful you were. You were perfect to him, even your flaws, and Xander wanted the chance to love every part of you.

The one thing that had held him back was the love you still held for Bucky. Xander would have allotted you all the time in the world if it meant that one day you could love him as much as he did you. When his boss first offered him the promotion, he wasn't sure he wanted to accept it because that would mean leaving you. The new position was a dream come true and it was important to him, but so were you.

He had still been thinking about turning down the promotion when the two of you ran into Bucky tonight. When he saw the way Bucky looked at you and the reaction he had to his arm around your waist, he knew that Bucky loved you and he realized that he had made a huge mistake. The moment Xander saw Bucky's eyes fall on you, he knew that he had to let you go. It wasn't him you were in love with and, though it would hurt, the only thing he wanted was for you to be happy.

When he went to get the car after leaving you with Bucky, he texted his boss and accepted the position. Now he just needed to convince you to speak with Bucky and find out why he pushed you away. Xander was sure that once you had a serious and open conversation with Bucky, the two of you would be able to mend your relationship.