Unimportant Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"Nat isn't going to talk to her for me. She hates me just as much as Y/n does, if not more. I-I can't keep holding onto hope when there is none." Bucky's voice broke as he stared at Steve.

Steve didn't know how to help his friend, but getting him out of the compound would be a start. Tony was taking the team to dinner tonight to celebrate Wanda and Vision's recent engagement. Bucky had declined when Steve initially told him, but he wasn't going to take no for an answer. Bucky needed to do something other than sit in his room and wallow.

"That's it. You're coming with us tonight." Steve said.

"No, I-I can't." Bucky's eyes widened.

It hadn't been long ago that he was able to imagine himself down on one knee, asking you to spend the rest of your life letting him love you. But he had failed you in the worst way. He was happy for Wanda and Vision, but he couldn't spend the night watching the way their faces lit up with happiness as they celebrated their love.

"Bucky, you're coming. You'll be with me and Sam. We'll make sure to keep you occupied so you don't have so much time to think. Be ready in an hour." Steve said and walked towards the door.

"Steve, I'm not going." Bucky said loudly.

"Yes, you are." Steve said without looking back. "See you in an hour."

~

To Bucky's chagrin, Steve waltzed into his room an hour later with Sam and practically pulled him out of the compound. Now he was sitting with the rest of the team in a fancy steakhouse to celebrate an engagement when all he wanted to do was hide away in his room. Bucky sat at the end of the table ignoring everyone and nursing a whiskey. The restaurant was dimly lit with crisp black tablecloths and white floating candles in crystal vases on each table. Modern, dark wood chairs were sat at each table and the brushed silver accents around the room shone in the dim light. It was romantic and the perfect place if you wanted an intimate setting for a date...and it made Bucky want to vomit.

Everyone was enjoying their meals as they laughed and talked among themselves. Steve and Sam were trying their best to include Bucky into the conversation they were having, but the most they could pull from him were one word answers and barely audible grunts. When they were nearly done eating, something caught Bucky's eye and what he saw made him bolt to his feet. His reaction caused everyone to direct their attention to Bucky. They followed his line of sight and saw you and a man walking in their direction. You hadn't noticed them yet, but you were heading straight towards them. Your attention was currently on the man you were with as you laughed at something he said.

As you turned to look in front of you, your body came to a halt and your eyes connected with Bucky's. The man that was with you ran into you as you stared at Bucky, completely frozen and unable to say anything. Bucky's eyes scanned over you. The black dress you wore was simple, but didn't hide your beauty. Seeing you after almost a year apart had him taking in every detail of your appearance, but when the man behind you wove his arm around your waist to keep you from falling forward, Bucky scowled.

"H-hey, Bucky. How've you been?" You asked meekly.

"Horrible."

His blunt answer made your eyes widen. He wasn't going to sugar-coat how awful he had been doing. There was no point in lying.

"Seems you're doing okay, though." His tone was sharp as his eyes cut to the man behind you. "Who's your friend?"

"I'm Xander." The man introduced himself.

"What kind of name is Xander?" Bucky's mouth turned down into a grimace.

"Sorry, ignore him. He's been in a very bad mood for the last ten months." Sam said as he stood up beside Bucky. "It's good to see you, Y/n. Miss having you around the compound."