Chapter Fifty-One

Start from the beginning

I locked the door behind me, fully aware of the fact that they probably had a key to the door but feeling more secure regardless. I sat down at the swivel chair and looked along the wall until I spotted them. Pietro was pacing back and forth on the phone in a bedroom with the two half empty suitcases resting on the bed. He must have been unpacking before he was on the phone.

Alessio and his mother were in the kitchen which was thankfully spotless again. That's all he needed, his mother to walk in on...that and a messy kitchen. I put the headphones on, now if only I knew how to work the sound.

I closed my eyes and thought back to when Pietro was here. What buttons had he pressed? F10, that was mute. Perhaps he just muted the sound? Two button presses later and I could hear sound but it wasn't from the kitchen. It was actually Pietro and the conversation was clearly meant to stay private. I hit the arrow keys until the camera settled on the kitchen.

Boy, I was good. And this was far simpler than I had thought.

They were talking in complete Italian though. Frustrated I threw the headphone down and both their heads snapped towards the camera. "Mother fúcker." I groaned.

I picked the headphones back up and put them on.

"Katherine." Alessio sighed.

"Era origliando!" His mother snapped to him.

(She was eavesdropping)

"Lei non puo paralare italiano." He muttered back and then looked back up to the camera. "Come down Katherine."

(She can not speak Italian)

Stupid speaker system. I carried my shoes with me until I reached the stairs and then slipped them on. I walked down slowly and as put together as I could manage. Alessio was waiting at the bottom of the stairs. He had put actual pants on now but had not put on his dress shirt or suit. I actually liked the look of his black suspenders against his white wife-beater. He took my hand for the last few steps and with a stern face led me to the kitchen where his mother was now sprinkling seasonings into several pots on the stove.

"Madre." Alessio said. She didn't look away from the stove. "This is Katherine."

"You can call me Kate. It's a pleasure to meet you." I said breaking away from Alessio's hold and walking over to her with an outstretched hand.

She looked at me, glared at my hand, and then returned to her cooking.

"Potete riprova?" Alessio sighed to his mother.

(Can you please try?)

"Chi e lei per te?"

(Who is she to you?)

"Nessuno."

(No one.)

"Nessuno?" She said sharply.

Alessio nodded. "Nessuno."

His mother sent me another skeptical look and then wiped her hands off on her apron. A thankfully bloodless one. "Dinner is almost done."

"I'll set the table." I offered hopefully.

"I've got it. Just go and grab Pietro, I trust you know where he is?" Alessio mocked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been looking forward to uploading this chapter from the moment I wrote it. Because for obvious reasons, the first part of this chapter is just hilarious.

Alessio is apparently an ass guy and Kate apparently likes it that way lol. Great way to meet the inlaws by the way. Love it, love it, love it.

If you haven't already, go and check out the preview for book two!! Which by the way we are about six chapters away from now! Book two will be called "Chasing Stars" and has a current working cover for it but will most likely be changed. (Almost definitely)

http://www.wattpad.com/142027169-chasing-stars-a-midnight-mafia-novel-preview

So, I am updating again because there's a pretty real possibility that I might be taking a step away from wattpad. The reason for that being I am hell bent, hell bent i say, on having this trilogy traditionally published.

Problem is most agents won't publish things that have been previously published. There are obvious exceptions, like After, or 50 shades of grey, and death is my bff is in the process. The difference with those novels and mine? Popularity.

If I had millions of views I could use wattpad as a selling point, since I do not however it's like a big huge black mark on the novel. Uploading to wattpad has pretty much been like shooting myself in the foot.

So, I am going to take a bit of time. Work on revising the story again, write up my query and synopsis, do some agent research, and then I'll come back. If the book is thriving and growing in population I'm leaving it up.

However, if it is still just another skipped over title in the wattpad slush pile I will be deleting the book. Now like I said I'm talking in weeks or months even.

SO, I am updating again because despite wattpad hindering my publishing chances I do feel like even though there are FEW of you vote and comment I still feel like you guys deserve to get the rest of the book. So I am going to be updating more frequently until book one is finished and then I'll take a break.

So for those of you who have been reading I will finish the book. But whether or not I continue with book two on wattpad depends on how well book one does.

How can you help? Voting and commenting. And this goes for every book on wattpad. That is what helps them to thrive. So...as always please do vote and comment.