XXII - don't give up on this feeling

xxii.

"AND THIS BELONGED TO MY GREAT GREAT GRANDMOTHER," The Queen mother of Angria spoke, a fond tremor in her voice, her eyes misting, as she surrendered a second-even more gorgeous and abundant than the last-jewelry set onto Isadora's lap.

The two ladies-the elder one seated on a low cushioned stool with her sparkling silver gown spread out behind her, and the younger one seated opposite on a big soft cushion placed on the freshly carpeted ground of the lavish living room in the west wing of the palace, with her legs tucked underneath her and her own magenta taffeta gown spread about her like a giant bloom-sat amidst an array of luxurious chests, some opened with their contents already being admired, and some still closed and waiting for their turn.

A little boy of four, now soon to be the young crown prince of Angria upon the feat of his adoptive mother's engagement, was busy playing with an intricately carved wooden horse on the side-but unlike the small one the boy owned, this one was almost fully his own height, a gift courtesy of his soon to be paternal grandmother.

"They will look beautiful on you, Isadora."

The Queen mother had taken, promptly, to calling Isa by her first name after the night of the engagement, only two days ago. In the two days, Isadora had found herself shifting closer and closer to the woman in ways she couldn't have deigned to ever have the privilege of, and had watched the elder woman open more and more to her each second, as though any mystery being kept was deemed unnecessary.

"Thank you, your majesty," Isadora started, a thumb gently tracing the sparkling pigeon's egg sized violet gem sported by the second jewelry set, the gem itself nestled on the necklace of the piece.

"But I can't accept all of this," She shook her head slightly and met the Queen's eyes in earnest. "Really, it is all too much for me. And they mean a lot to you, I should hate to-"

"Nonsense," Queen Ariana raised a hand in the air, her facial features firming themselves instantly.

"You are, soon, my daughter-in-law-our kingdom's future Queen. My only son's wife to be, for goodness' sake! You will have everything that I declare you should have."

Then, having cleared nonsensical ideas from the air, the woman began sifting through the contents of the chest that was being invaded at present. Absently, with her mind engaged in her endeavor, the woman gestured to a standby footman.

The uniformed man was then made to promptly continue the search inside the chest, to look for what the Queen mother was at present searching for and for some reason, couldn't find.

Isadora admired the jewelry sets on her lap, thinking of the connections and depths they bore for Queen Ariana. Women, both powerful and privileged, had adorned these glittering diamonds and gems on their ears and against their necks. She wondered if she'd feel the power once she wore them for an occasion or two, she wondered.. if King Alexander-Zander-would like them on her.

Surely a fallen diamond the size of her fingernail, from any one of these jewelry sets alone could feed an entire village, hence the idea that Zander might not like them on her-or like them at all-seemed shockingly confounding to her. To deter such a valuable seemed so wrong, Isa wasn't even sure if she should be holding these diamonds in the first place.

Suddenly then, as if her thoughts alone had arranged the summons, Archie's excited voice filled the air.

"Zander!"

Isadora turned to look at the entrance of the palace living room, where, amidst the footmen busy with transporting furniture out the room on the behest of Queen Ariana-for she had decided upon further changes for the palace on account of the King and Isa's incoming union-stood the King himself, clad in a fetching light blue suit, as he held himself high, with his messy dark hair looking as though he had only just took his crown off and stashed it away for a while.