XIX - the moon at our table

xix.

WAS THE MOON SEATED AT THAT TABLE TOO? ISADORA Tremaine wondered as her gown's hem trailed over the dark night grass and her eyes remained transfixed by the table set up that had been laid out for The King, herself and her son.

The King, in all his confident stride and bold glory, didn't seen surprised by the luxurious display presently glimmering under the moonlight in the gardens. Maybe that was because he'd had it arranged in front of him, or maybe he'd just seen it beforehand.

The round table was awash in delicate golden light that radiated from a glittering glass carousel placed in the stark center that held slender white wax burning candles-soft, delicate flames dancing gently with the sway of the sleepy, cool night wind.

Plates were arranged on the table, three arrangements for three chairs. It struck Isadora with how intimate the set up was. Her heart raced each step she was forced to take closer to it, and as her feet grew heavier, Archie's steps grew lighter and more care free.

He was excited with the promise of being taken to the stables, and that was his driving force-a little of which could also be attributed to the fact that he was hungry.

Footmen stood at stand by to serve, having just placed steaming hot dishes around the gleaming table center piece.

As they arrived close enough, The King walked forwards towards a chair, which he pulled out and his eyes met Isa's.

She felt her heart pound in her ears now, as she glanced at the standing footmen. What will they think? Watching their King pull out a chair for a mere common girl who wasn't even from their kingdom?

Isa had never in her life cared enough for what other people thought of her, but now, her entire sense of self was wavering in front of King Alexander Casimir.

If only to hasten the process, to have nobody else see, she glided over to the chair he had pulled out for her.

"Thank you, your majesty," She spoke, keeping her chin low as she managed a smile and adjusted herself while The King pushed the chair slightly inwards and Isa took her cue and sat herself gently.

She was aware of him near her like he was fire, and her skin was darkening with the ash of him. Every hair on her body seemed to stand up, chills upon upon chills cascading down her back like rivulets-and she couldn't understand if it was only her or him, or the both of them.

King Alexander Casimir stood by her, even when she had sat, for a few beats too long. Isa was compelled to turn over her shoulder to look upwards at him, and their eyes met in an infusion that made her heart throb with it's force.

His soft brown eyes carried the flames of the burning candles inside them as he gazed into her eyes. His facial features remained stoic, though she could sense-from amidst the burning of his eyes into hers-a vein throbbing in his jaw with how hard he was holding it.

And then, that spell was broken suddenly when little Archie made a slight grunting sound. Isa turned her eyes to look at him, her heart beating wildly in her chest from The King's scorching gaze, only to find him plopping himself down on his chair after the effort he had made to drag the thing closer to his mama.

The boy seemed satisfied, after perhaps his earlier distaste at the distance between his own chair and Isa's. Now that he had sufficiently dealt with the issue, he seemed duly satisfied. A s a result, the seating arrangement was altered in a much preferable way for Isadora, giving some respite to her bothered heart. Now, with Archie seated right beside her, it felt as though she were two, facing one.

King Alexander Casimir removed himself from behind Isadora, clearing his throat silently as he moved towards the only chair left-his seat-as he sat himself down.