Chapter 6 - Into the Depths

1st Person POV (Cub)

It was time to take action and start finding them, Mumbo was going to search the top of the trees in the Jungle just in case we ended up finding something hidden up there. I however was going to take the floor route, which was a lot more boring and you could get lost.. a lot easier.

- Wait Cub, would you like to hear about everything that I can recall of every Season you have been in? -

Mumbo yelled from the tree above me. My eyes glowing as I stared up at him.

- Would you do that for me? -

I loudly whispered. He nodded, smiling softly down at me.

- Yeah, maybe we could have tea over it, a whole day just to help you relearn stuff, maybe I can convince Xisuma to try fix the thing that's making you lose these memories -

Tears glossed over my eyes, making it difficult for me to see. I violently nodded.

- Yeah, I'd love that Mumbo -

I smiled softly back at him from the ground, wiping tears before they had fallen. Why had this moved me so much? Maybe because Mumbo was such a nice friend.

I had come across a lit cave which seemed to have someone currently living in it from how the torches were still burning brightly. I called up to Mumbo, him graciously swooping down to land next to me.

- You ready? -

He muttered. I was not ready, I was terrified and scared and- I'M CLINGING ONTO HIS ARM. Quickly letting go I nodded to him. 1 step, 2 step.

*Buzz Buzz*

I jumped, grabbing onto Mumbo tightly. He gently stroked my hair before answering the call from MY communicator.

- Hey Xisuma -

Mumbo said in a cheery tone. Not seeming bothered by how I was still clinging onto him.

- Hey Mumbo, where's Cub? This is him communicator after all -

A low chuckle could be heard by Mumbo before I spoke.

- Hey X, sorry got a fright for the buzzing noise and froze. What's up? -

Silence stretched for a long time, making the atmosphere feel uneasy and awkward. 

- Sorry I zoned out, I know its 2 am but i was wondering if you would be willing to go searching for Grian again -

A small sigh of relief could be heard from 2 of the 3 men.

- Well me and Mumbo are already out searching for Grian and Scar. He didn't come home and he isn't replying to my messages so I'm getting worried -

A small sound of approval could be heard from the admin.

- Okay well, I'll be heading out to join you guys soon, I just need to get ready and I'll be out with you. Thanks again, byee! -

*vroomp*

The helmeted hermit ended the call, the 2 hermits now even more scared to step into the cave.

- You ready Cub? -

The moustached man quickly blurted out. His bottom lip quivering. I nodded, trying to seem braver than I was. Slowly we both entered the cave, hoping to be seen again.

As they walked down the torches would flicker, forming shadows which looked like humans, making them uneasy.

- Cub, why are you still clinging onto my arm, I thought you were meant to be the brave one here -

Mumbo quietly asked me. He didn't mind it at all but he was just concerned.

- O-Oh sorry -

I quickly let go, going slightly red from embarrassment. I was just scared about everything, I didn't want to be kidnapped by the cloaked figure.

I wiped my hands on my legs as we travelled further down the cave. 

- These torches seem brighter than usual, does that mean someone is here as we speak? -

I whispered to Mumbo. He shrugged, turning to me.

Maybe, I hope not though, that would be awkward. A Listener and a Vexling waltzing into a random house which isn't ours -

I glared up at him. 

You waltz into Grians like nothing -

Mumbo looked back down, glaring. 

You can't ev- -

*buzz buzz*

It was Xisuma. I answered it quickly.

Yes X? -

I asked quietly. I didn't want to make too much of a noise. 

Yeah so where are you guys -

Xisuma's voice blared through the speakers in the communicator.

FUCK! -

I screamed. It gave me a huge fright and now I was panicking. Speedily turning the volume on my communicator down, I turned to Mumbo who was looking very pale while staring down into the depths of the cave. Confused, I listened back to what Xisuma was saying.

- CUB NO SWEARING, anyway are you going to answer my question? -

I deeply sighed before continuing. 

- Sorry, my volume was very high and it gave me a fright considering me and Mumbo are in a dimly lit cave -

I heard a sound of acknowledgement coming through the communicator. A small tap on my shoulder could be felt. I turned to face Mumbo who still was looking further off into the cave still as pale as a feather.

- What is it Mumbo? -

I muttered staring into the cave with him.

- I-i saw something move, a white hated thing -

He whispered into my ear. Mumbo isn't the type to get scared so I decided to hang up the call with Xisuma with a quick apology. Slowly and carefully me and Mumbo crept further into the cave. Curios of what laid ahead.