Chapter Eleven

"Are you sure about this?" Lela asked while we stood down the street from my mom's estate the next evening. She was in her suit, but I was just in a pair of sweats and a tee shirt as Libby was still fixing my suit. At this point I knew that I was busted, there had been mentions of both me and Lela as people of interest in articles that Libby had found, so I was hoping to make things a little better.

"Yeah. Honestly, if I can defuse the situation, then maybe we can just go live our lives. If not, then we have some good ideas on what to do next." I wrapped my arms around her and gave her a soft kiss. "But you need to be safe too,

We were running low on time, but we had made progress. All day we'd been getting cash from bank accounts, it's amazing how much cash you can get when you have someone with the ability to talk almost anyone into anything. Lela had also been in charge of getting top dollar for my car, which I was sad to see go, but was way too conspicuous for us to all drive. Jewel had gone to a different dealer than we sold it at, and bought us a ten year old GMC Suburban that had a ton of storage in the back for us to move with. Even with the purchase, we were sitting on over $250k in cash thanks to us all cleaning out our bank accounts. Yes, having wealthy parents was nice.

"I'll be safe, you know I can fly right out of here, Kam." Yeah, Lela's other persona was Syrenity, and not just because she could lull people to sleep with her voice, but also because she liked to fly up into the clouds where it was nice and peaceful. I couldn't wait to fly with her!

"You better! Neither of us need any more scars this soon."

Yep. I was going to have a scar. Libby had used her cosplay sewing skills on me once we'd finally gotten home, and they still hurt, but I'd survive. Lela had a little scar of her own, a bullet wound from the job in Newark that Silverclaw had made her do to rescue. Hers was a pretty scar since Knightlight had healed it, just a pair of cute little puckered circles from where a bullet had passed through her thigh. I'm sure it hurt like a bitch when she got hit, but it looked a lot better than the jagged flesh on my ribs. We both took time to kiss each other's scars though, and it did help my mood.

"Okay then. Go kick ass, and I'll meet you at Libby's when we're done." Libby's was where we were hanging out as we prepared our next move, if only because my mom hadn't heard me even mention her in years. They were so wrapped up in the crime fighting that they had no idea who my friend was, and since she didn't go to our school, it was a safe place to use in the meantime. Lela and Jewel both had said their goodbyes to their moms, who were just happy to see them safe and Silverclaw caught.

After one more quick kiss, I watched her fly away, and I took a deep breath before racing over to the front door of the house. I wasn't surprised that it was unlocked, nor was I surprised to find my whole family in the living room chatting with General Kitts.

"You took your time," my mother said with a frown. "You've been out there chatting for thirty minutes."

"Yeah. Well, I wasn't exactly looking forward to this," I pointed out as I pulled out a kitchen chair to sit on. "I just wanted to apologize for messing with you in the park. I just wanted to spend more time with you, and since you're always fighting with villains, I figured I could pretend to be one. I was never going to hurt you. I even broke your bikes so you could get new ones after you complained about them."

My three brothers smiled at that, while General Kitts just shook his head. "Do you really expect us to believe that you weren't a diversion to help Heartstopper escape? And then you just happened to go visit your father? How can we possibly trust the daughter of those two fiends? Just like we knew it was no surprise to see you on camera with the daughter of two other villains."