Chapter One

I stared at the green bottle as it spun in a circle, slowly coming to a halt as it pointed to a giggling, black haired girl. The boy on the other side of the group of people crawled over, and the pair had a chaste kiss amongst the wolf whistles and cheers before they both sat back down. I just continued to watch from the comfort of the recliner in the corner. I only glanced at the game when my eyes weren't fixated on the gorgeous cheerleader on the other side of the room. Yep, it was another typical summertime Saturday night party.

The aptly named Jewel Berry was over there talking to her friend Lela, while Jewel's boyfriend Louis had his arm slung over her shoulders. Why he did that, I had no idea, as he was much larger than her, and the arm must weigh a ton. But he didn't care, he was jealously eying the people playing spin the bottle, and finally wandered away from Jewel after a few more people had a spin. Yes, the moron just left the most gorgeous girl in the school so he could kiss other people.

Idiot.

"Why aren't you playing?" came a deep voice from my right. Ahh, my lovely stalker, Quincy. He just didn't want to give up.

"The person I want to kiss isn't playing," I replied with a sigh.

"Ahh, but I'm right here!" he pointed out, sitting on the arm of the recliner so that he was pushed up on the right side of my body.

I came very close to literally launching him across the room, but that would have been as big of a mistake as I could make.

"Quincy, how many times do I have to tell you that I'm not interested? I like girls, and you're not a girl. Just please, take the hint and leave me alone before I have to tell my brothers to pay you a visit." It was an idle threat, but Quincy didn't know that. Because I was the baby in the family, with three very famous older brothers that were at least ten years my senior, most people didn't mess with me. They had all excelled at multiple sports during their time at the West Shores Institute, the exclusive Connecticut private school we all attended. Nobody could ever understand why an East Coast school had a name like West Shores since we were nowhere near a single body of water, but I guess rich people think differently. Every one of my brothers had been an amazing athlete back in school, and while none of the other students knew about their superpowers, their mere size would be enough of a deterrent.

But yeah, their powers could probably level the school.

I absently wished that my best friend Libby was here to keep my temper down, but she just hated these parties. Knowing her, she was probably home with her fingers crossed that I wouldn't do anything too stupid on my own. So far, I'd been able to do that, but the night was young.

"Hey, no, I get it. It's just that you're gorgeous and all, so I keep thinking that maybe I'd get lucky, and you'd change your mind." He was rubbing the back of his neck, and I felt bad for him. Not bad enough to change my mind to make him feel better, but bad in that I felt bad that he was crushing on the gay girl. Of course, I was crushing on the straight girl, so I guess that we had something in common.

"Not today dude. Maybe try Tori, I know she's always liked you." This was a true statement. Tori was the stereotypical hot nerd, and really liked Quincy but was way too shy to say anything to him. I didn't really know her, though her mind became an open book to me when I touched her arm, so there you go.

But Quincy just snorted. "No way. She's off limits. Louis already made it clear that she's his."

I took my eyes off the game, just as Louis was sitting down and demanding the bottle. "What do you mean she's his? I thought he was with Jewel?"