Chapter 20

Orsino dries and dresses in a new set of clothes ― a second set of old-timey clothes! Procured by William and Elliot while he was gone and waiting for him on the bed of the guest room he'd stayed in previously. He could cry.

He stops by Marlene's room before he heads downstairs. She was put up in the spare study down the hall from his room and William had insisted on locking it. Orsino was a little shook at the aggressiveness on William's part since so far he seemed like a kindly older man. But he is very protective of Elliot, clearly.

Orsino knocks. "You alright in there?"

There's a rustle behind the door and footsteps. "Yes." Marlene's voice is muffled by the thick oak. She chuckles quietly. "Isn't this an interesting role-reversal?"

Orsino finds it a little harder to laugh than she does. "I guess, but I don't have a way to unlock the door like you did for me. Sorry you got locked up like this for helping me."

"I'll admit it's not what I hoped for. But I think it was the right choice. And besides, Alaina or her cronies will find it difficult to get revenge on me here."

"I hope so." It is easier to forget about all of that mess in the sturdy walls and warm lighting of Darling house. Though Orsino reminds himself this was once Alaina's house too. It's hard to imagine her walking these halls. "Holler if you need anything, I guess?"

Marlene laughs again, "Certainly. Goodnight."

Orsino descends the stairs and finds himself in the drawing room. In the threshold, he's struck by anxiety. It reminds him a lot of his last night here before he ran away. But things are different now ― he knows what's going on with Elliot and everything else ― he tells himself, and straightens his shoulders as he enters.

No one is inside, but the fireplace is warm and inviting so Orsino sits on the sofa in front of it. Gingerly, he cracks open his sketchbook, retrieved from his room. He's happy to have it back, though he wishes he still had the sketches he'd drawn on loose paper at St. George's. Without them, his sketchbook feels like a diary that's missing pages.

Behind him, there's a knock on the doorframe. "Good evening," says Elliot quietly, looking like he wants to become one with the wall.

Orsino tries to smile reassuringly. "Hi, you can come in."

Elliot still looks hesitant. Maybe this is reminding Elliot of that night too. "I'm afraid our cook is already asleep, I told William he was dismissed for the night as well, so there's not much to eat."

"It's alright, I can whip up something for myself." Orsino stands, setting his sketchbook down. "Lead the way."

Elliot shows him to the kitchen, and Orsino catches him stealing quick glances in his direction as they walk silently through the hallways.

Orsino looks around the kitchen and pantry at what's available and decides to make some apple oatmeal. Elliot stands in the doorway, fidgeting with a stray spoon while Orsino lights the stove, and gets to work.

"You can sit if you like? Pull up a stool," says Orsino with a smile.

Elliot stares at him wide-eyed and Orsino thinks he catches a hit of pink in his pale cheeks. "Oh, alright, I suppose," says Elliot eyes darting around until he finds a stool to pull next to the stove. He reaches his hands out and warms them on the residual heat.

Finally, Elliot seems to find more words and says, "You know how to cook?" as Orsino chops an apple and warms a bit of butter in a pot.

Orsino giggles, which makes Elliot smile. "I'm not sure I'd count this as cooking, but yeah, I guess I can cook."