Simple Diets - Copra, fermentation and cancers

For me I'm a less is more kind girl and I like making do with what I've got.
I'm a bit of a hippy, a gypsy at heart and love all the herbs and natural remedies.

So this is my spin on the subject.

The more unnatural things we have in our diet the more we need to supplement the diet, it all sound counterintuitive to me so my focus this year for both myself and my horses is to get back to basics as much as we can.

I see a lot of fuss and documentation going on about how bad natural pastures are for horses.
They are too high in sugar some are saying, you shouldn't let your horse eat that sweet grass, you should just give them access to hay and not much grass.

All is good in moderation!
My understanding is that the paddock has been overgrazed and is simply too small.
It is that simple.
So yes I agree with the people making the claims to just feed round bales and supplement your feeds.
That is just the nature of keeping horses on smaller properties. And it's great that there are these amazing brains out there to help those owners out that are doing the very best with the situation that they have.
I take my hat off to you owners that take the time and care to plan such beneficial diets to keep your horses looking and feeling tip top.

So for me it's m about working with and understanding nature and working with your season and your particular environment and situation.

So for people living on the coast where there is a more even spread of rain fall and / or irrigated paddocks.
Then yes there is going to be a constant supply of sugary grass, that absolutely will affect your horses.
So understand that will allow you to notice those changes, and act accordingly.

So in those costal areas you are best to take advice from those living and experiencing the same conditions as you.

So for me. I do things differently.
My horses have access to a large areas.
They are throughbreds, they are designed differently than the station bred stock horses they are with. Slowly they are transitioning into horses that can learn to graze farther and wider and learn to adapt to being a horse again.

One of my horses is learning how to graze efficiently. He was a race horse for 7-8 years, there was a few years gap in his history before he came to me.
The gap in history saw him spending time fending for himself as nature intended a horse to be.
It was a very tough time for him and he suffered greatly and that showed in his body.
Our body's take a long to time to adjust and recover.
So this year I am focusing my attention and efforts on supporting my body and those of my horses.

So that's where my interest was sparked when I read about having acidic or alkaline body's.
Cancer love acidic environments.
That is why people have cured themselves of some cancers due to changing their diets.
By simply eatting green.
Even carnivores, wild dogs when they kill an animal, they eat their intestines first! Even carnivores eat their greens first!

No I'm not going completely green. Humans still need the proteins found in meat and fish.
But even humans were not designed to eat meat all the time.
Humans ate with the seasons and ate meat when they could catch it. Sometimes, some seasons those animals would too be hiding or hibernating. They had spent the previous months eatting and collecting berries so they could survive the winter.

So I'm talking about nutrition throughout the season.

Knowing when to supplement and when to let nature do its thing.

So when the wet season hits us in the remote areas of Australia, grass is green and lush, you notice every animal has soft or runny poo for a short period of time until their tummies get use to the change.
No difference to us when we eat a big feed of KFC after spending a few months out bush.
Our bodies can't digest it, and it just cleans us out!
Well that's what nature is doing with all of that fresh green grass, it's a natural colon cleans!
How good do livestock look after the wet season.
That's because firstly they had a gut full of this nutritious grass, there body's were still in survival mode to work hard and process vital nutrients out of really shit quality grass with the help of bulk free range supplements. And that's for cattle. Cattle can and do self regulate their intake and kinda know what nutrients they need.
I have whitenesses cattle eating carcasses because they are lacking calcium, we can't supplement calcium as easy as phosphorus, urea and salts so the cattle find there own sources of calcium and will devour a carcasses very quickly, you might have thought the pigs had eaten it. But I can guarantee the cattle would have had their fair share. My partner has had to roll many a beast to get a bone out of their moth that had become stuck.