Chapter 12

"I have to go home," Duke told Connie as he got back in the car, Audrey's phone call seemed to have sobered him up, reminding him that he couldn't just do whatever he wanted anymore.

"Was that your wife?" Connie asked, sure their wedding had been quick and quiet, but some people still knew that he had gotten married, especially after Audrey went viral as his girlfriend before they even met.

"Yes, coming out here was a terrible idea," he shook his head as if trying to erase what had happened from his mind. He couldn't believe how careless he had been, those pictures were like practically putting a weapon in Aunt Brenda's hands.

"You know I won't go calling her or calling you when you're with her," said Connie, depicting that perhaps she didn't mind being a side chick. Duke looked at her and thought about the message she was passing, since his marriage to Audrey was fake and there was no sex involved perhaps, he could have Connie on the side, all he had to do was make her sign an NDA sealing her lips saying she was never to talk about their relationship.

"I'll call you tomorrow," he told her. He needed to get home and try to do some damage control because the next morning.

Connie nodded and leaned in, giving him one last kiss before adjusting her dress and stepping out of the car.

.

The entire lonely drive home, he kept on thinking about how he was going to spin this and do some damage control. He had checked out the pictures which were circulating and it was of him and Connie dancing, sure they were very close, their bodies almost touching but he could still explain it as just two drunk old friends dancing and perhaps apologize for taking it too far, there was only one picture of him and Connie heading to his car, he could always say they needed to talk away from the noisy bar.

When he got home it was almost midnight, but Audrey was still awake, he knocked on the adjoining door twice then entered.

"Hey, you still awake?" he asked softly.

"What is it?" Audrey asked, not even bothering to hide how annoyed she was.

"I'm sorry, I messed up." he knew that he had to apologize, she had really been keeping up her end of the bargain and trying to make them look like a legit couple "I just got too excited upon seeing my friends."

"You don't owe me any apology, it' your life. I've got nothing to lose" she responded, her back turned to him.

"Still, we're supposed to be working together as a team and what I did was bad, it scraped off the effort you've been putting in."

Had he slept with her? Audrey wanted to ask but she bit her tongue, he would just say something about her not being his type or trying to seduce him, he would probably make fun of her for being jealous when she knew there was nothing between them.

"What's done is done, just think about how you'll defend yourself because Aunt Brenda will definitely attack."

As much as she hated him in that moment, she still cared very much about Lindsey and didn't want her to end up with Aunt Brenda.

"I've already come up with something," he spoke carefully, hoping she would agree to it. Of course, she would agree, he was paying her a lot of money for this.

"What is it?" Audrey finally sat upright and faced him.

"A picture of us cuddled up in bed, just to kill the rumors before they start. Then tomorrow morning we'll go out for breakfast, just the two of us."

Even though Audrey was still upset with him and hurt that he had left her home then went on to dance and probably hook up with another woman, she knew that she could not refuse because this was why he had hired her, why he was paying her $10,000 per week.

"Fine," she mumbled and crawled out of bed because he wanted them to be in his bed.

The two got into bed, Audrey uncomfortably cuddling up to him, her ass brushing up against his crotch. Duke who still had unfinished business from the encounter with Connie started feeling his cock awakening and he moved back a bit.

"Maybe you should turn around, rest on my chest," he suggested, and Audrey did likewise.

Duke looked down at her putting on a small smile then he took some selfies.

'After a wild night out catching up with old friends, nothing feels better than going back home and having her in my arms, the perfect way to end my night' he put the caption and posted the picture.

"They'll think you're trying too hard," Audrey spoke as she got up from his bed "men who constantly talk about and praise their wives on social media turn out to be cheaters."

"I'll tone it down a bit but for now we need this," he insisted.

When Audrey went back to her room, he rushed into the bathroom to take a shower. This was convincing him even more that perhaps he needed Connie just to be helping him to get some relief from all the pent-up sexual frustration.

By morning, there were two groups on his posts; one claiming he was just posting her because of the photos with Connie and the others saying he was just dancing with a friend and if he was really cheating then he wouldn't have done it in public. People had already started comparing the two women, comparing Audrey to all the other women Duke had dated and saying she wasn't his type, that he probably only married her because she was a "wife material" and would take care of his home and sister while he was out cheating with his type.

"Stop reading the comments," Duke spoke, ever since they sat down on their table to have breakfast, her eyes had been on the phone. Duke had seen the posts and he felt awful that she was now getting dragged, her body shammed and yet she had done nothing. People telling her to go to the gym or drink concoctions to lose the belly fat.

"Having you say I am not your type was bearable but having all these people judging me, saying I don't fit to be your woman... it's just..." Audrey stopped herself and let out a hollow chuckle "why am I even saying this? You don't care about my feelings."

"What? That's not true, of course I care."

Audrey shook her head, trying to get rid of all the bubbling emotions. She forced a smile.

"It's fine, let's just get through this, take your pictures." She told him.

"Audrey..." he reached across the table, putting his hand on top of hers "I do care," he repeated "I'm sorry that I have been a selfish jerk just focused on my own issues without considering how you're handling all of this. How about we go home? Maybe have a drink by the fireplace," he suggested.

"Sure, I could use a drink" she agreed.