"No! Of course you don't. That's not what I mean. It's just unusual to not see or hear from you–"

"I needed some time to myself, Y/n!" His voice raised and was tinged with irritation. "You're always all over me and I needed some space to breathe!"

Your breath left your body in a harsh exhale. It felt as if he had just reached out and punched you in the gut. Had you really been suffocating him that badly? The only reason you were with him whenever you had free time was because he told you he liked being with you whenever he could. In fact, he was the one seeking you out more often than not. If he wanted time to be alone with his thoughts, all he had to do was tell you that, but he never had. He said your presence comforted him. Had he been lying to you this whole time? Maybe he was just too afraid to hurt your feelings and had finally reached his breaking point.

"If you wanted space, all you had to do was tell me. You know I would have given that to you."

"Yeah, sure." He scoffed.

"Are you serious right now?"

"Yeah. I am. Your presence is stifling, Y/n. Every time I turn around, you're always there."

Rage burned inside of you. He was acting as if you clung to him every second of the day when you only ever saw each other for a few minutes in the mornings and sometimes in the evenings if Bucky wasn't on a mission. The only days that you actually spent together were Saturday and Sunday, and once again he was the one that started that ritual. No matter if he believed it or not, you had a life outside of him. You went out with Nat and Yelena, worked all day training new agents, and even found time to participate in several hobbies. How the fuck were you supposed to be 'stifling' when the only time you were together was on the weekends?

"Why are you acting this way? This isn't you." Your voice rose with each word you spoke, matching his volume.

"Goddamnit, Y/n!" Bucky roared. "Fucking let it go. This is who I am. I'm a grumpy, cold-hearted asshole who should have never started a relationship with you in the first place."

"That's not who you are, Bucky. You are caring and considerate. You love me. I know it." Your eyes were burning with unshed tears as you spoke.

"I don't love you, Y/n. I never have. Even when I told you I did, I was lying."

His face contorted into a sneer as he hurled his words at you. Each one was like a battering ram to your heart, creating crack after crack until your heart couldn't withstand the pounding anymore. You stared at him, in disbelief. His stare was so cold and impassive. He believed every word he was saying. The man you loved with all your heart, didn't love you. He never had apparently. Bucky had been lying to you all this time. You tried one last time, hoping against hope that everything he just said wasn't true.

"That's not true. You love me." You walked towards him, hands cupping his cheeks and lips softly pressing against his for a moment before pulling back to look up at him. "Bucky, please don't do this. I love you."

Your whispered words hung between you. His eyes softened for a moment and hope bloomed inside of you. Each second felt like an eternity as you stood in the silence, waiting for him to say that he was sorry. That he was lying. That it was all just a horrible joke. But that's not what he said. His eyes clouded over with indifference again and his final words sent your heart crumbling into a pile of dust, never to be repaired.

"This is over. I don't want you, Y/n. You mean nothing to me." He pulled your hands from his face and dropped them.

"So you just used me? For what? For sex? Because you were bored? Come on, I'd really like to know why you even asked me out if you never fucking cared for me!" You screamed.