Chapter 21: The Master Plan

Começar do início

"Shit!" I heard Dontae scream.

I panted. Panicked by the mishap.

Deep breaths Vannessa. Deep breaths.

"Hold on, I'm coming!" Dontae exclaimed.

"Don't you see me trying?" I shouted, infuriated as my plan was failing miserably.

I don't think I could ever be a spy because I am clearly very terrible at making plans and executing them. First I failed at hiding from my dad a few days ago and now here I am pathetically hanging onto my fingers from my windowsill from yet another failed plan.

Master plan my ass.

It wasn't long before I heard Dontae's footsteps and his fearful cries telling me to 'hold on' and 'don't move'. As if I had an option. I wouldn't dare to gamble with my life.

That's when my eyes shifted. And momentarily, it was like I was transported to another dimension as I gazed, starstruck at Dontae.

I watched him as if he was moving in slow motion. Dazzled by the sunlight reflecting off his beautifully tousled dark brown hair with blonde highlights. His strong legs. His bulky arms. His bare chest of artistically sculptured six pack. His sexy thig-

Focus Vannessa!

I tore my eyes away from him. Cursing my mind for the intrusive thoughts that it was conjuring up. I stared at the bright green paint that covered the house as if it was the most interesting thing.

My backpack was wriggling against my shoulders and I suddenly felt queasy from being up so high.

Why did Sean have to text me? And why didn't my stupid brain stop my hands from texting him back?

I was humiliated that Dontae of all people caught me trying to sneak out. I kind of wished it was Wilma. At least she would forget by tomorrow. But Dontae, I'm not sure if he will ever let this go.

It was a miracle that no one from inside had heard me screaming at the top of my lungs. Maybe the vacuum was plugged in again. Or maybe the radio was playing at a loud volume.

Dontae stopped at the bottom of the tree and I twisted my head in uncomfortable ways to watch him. He climbed up the tree with ease and I was awed by the way his muscles stretched and retracted.

Holy crackers. Dontae was truly a sight to behold and I felt like the luckiest girl alive to be this close to real, unfiltered beauty.

He is so hot.

I barely noticed that Dontae had climbed so high until he was somehow close enough for me to reach him. It was when his voice sounded louder than before that I realized he was close to me now. Stooping on a strong tree branch with a well toned arm outstretched.

"Grab my hand," he commanded. I obeyed eagerly. My other hand was sweating profusely and it slipped even more. My heart beat wildly as inexplicable fear gripped my bones.

"I'm going to pull you up on the count of three ok?"

I nodded urgently. Praying he wouldn't take note of the blush covering my cheeks as I watched his bare chest.

"One."

"Tw-"

The next thing I knew, my fingers were released from the windowsill and my body was flying through the air.

I screamed maniacally and the wind picked up. Blowing my hair in each and every direction. I wriggled my now free hand in the air like a boneless inflatable tube man.

But I wasn't falling.

In fact, Dontae had held on to me as if I was his lifeline. In one smooth motion he pulled me upwards. Grunting a little, he held me tightly and I was now pressing up against his bare chest. I gasped in fright and instinctively stared up into his beautiful eyes. My hand splayed out on his bulky chest and I could smell his strong, woody cologne.