Chapter 4

At First Glance.

    ***

Before you read

Hi, so sorry I haven't posted a chapter in a while. I've been on writers block for some time now, but I finally got the motivation to keep going! Hope you like the chapter!

And I need ideas on how to get the story going, because I honestly have none. I have the ending already Planned and all, but I don't really know how to go there.

Anyway, Hope you like the chapter!

~~~~~~

- "At first glance, there was a girl. A normal one. Maybe even alive. But... at second glance... she was a monster."

- Victor Dummont January, 2001 tape.

***

October 10th, 1999

07:45 am

At first glance, maybe it's nice to get out of the house each day. To have a job, to finally have things to do.. But then, who would take care of the house, while Lily was settled in...? Always on that bike of his, which was starting to become hackneyed, he now rode everyday to work. Where was I heading with this? Well, at second glance, you'd do nothing else. You'd be stuck in a loop of endless misery. You would be in a cycle of wake up, work, eat, sleep. It doesn't sound good, because it's horrible anyway. 

- "Natalie Smith here! And I'm reporting the weather for Satch Ground this fare morning! Somehow, with unbelievable blessings and even more implausible stats, the weather for today will be snow all over! Expect many schools to have the day off, and many workers to take a break for once, including me! Have a safe trip  to anywhere you wanna go to, and I'll see you tomorrow."

It might have been break day for some, but to workers like Victor, those did not apply to him. Snow filling each and every cobblestone, Victor didn't take his bike that day, and instead; walked along the streets of Saint Jane, with the breeze of the winter. It wasn't as cold as other days, which even though it was a surprise, it felt like relief.

You'd expect the neighbors to stop their tradition, and just be normal people for once, but no. Awkward glances, and even very inferior ones too. 

- "Why do you think they looked at you that way, Victor?"- Aurelie said. Victor's explanations were getting a wee bit intense.

- "My guess, the house. They wouldn't look at others who dressed horribly, with fashion like a Carnival parade. They only looked at him, because he owned the house."

***

06:57 pm

No more awkward glances, as the streets were too dark to see in. The snow slightly melted throughout the day, making it a hazard of whether you'll slip or not. Fortunately enough, Victor didn't have that bad of luck. Arriving right Infront of his door, he reached deep into his pockets to pull his keys out, and as he was about to open his door, he realised an old lady was staring deeply at him.

- "Victor, isn't it?"- the lady said. Her tone didn't reveal any signs of friendly or stern. Just more of a heart monitor on a straight line, no note changing.

- "Yeah, and.. you are?"- Victor tried not to make it seem awkward. Maybe that's a question people ask around there.

- "Mary. Mary Ross."- the woman said. The rocking chair she was sitting on, made one creaking noise as the lady got up, and then stated silent again. - "Are you free tomorrow, Victor?"

- "I.. believe so.. I'll have to recheck though."
- "Tea, then?"
- "Sure. I'd love to have tea."

- "You agreed.. to tea?"- Aurelie exclaimed. Victor was never one to make decisions right away.

- "Yeah, the lady seemed nice anyway. He hadn't known that he had lived next to her."

- "Alright.. Go on."

***

Tea. A hot drink made by the dried leaves of the tea plant in water. Or for others, a light afternoon meal consisting typically of tea to drink, sandwiches, and cakes. But on the Streets of Saint Jane, there's only one question to tea;

Is it poisonous or not?

- "The streets never looked creepier, as now they were weighted with the pressure of someone new; someone not met before. An old lady, where I come from, they called them ancient. What would be her name, what would be her story? And, a single tea to determine answers. Maybe the kettle would be hot enough for her face to melt off-"

- "Victor! About two months ago, you said you loved the old neighbor!- Aurelie said. Such impulsive thoughts, coming from what was once a sweet man.

- "What? I can't speak my mind in front of your little show?"- Victor gestured towards the cameras.

- "Victor.. for the love of god don't make this harder for both of us. Just continue, please."

The house's exterior, painted in baby pink, with mold on each and every edge. Some various scratches here and there, broken pipes, and a door with about a hundred locks. Multiple windows, first floor and second, all broken, with ripped curtains.

- "A clear house of a paranoid lady."

***

The interior, on the other hand, was different. Though it was quite dusty, it was perfectly neat. She had had quite a lot of shelves, most of them scattered with the fine china. Inside the living room, there were random photos of family's, but, they would change at each one. Walking further, the old woman lead Victor towards the backyard, where a small table was set-up. There were five chairs, in which only two were not occupied; the rest had stuffed plushies.

- "Quite sorry about all of these little fellas, my niece was just here. Have a seat."

Victor took a seat  in one of the open seats, and waited as the old woman did so too. 

- "So, Victor. You own the house next door, right?" - Mary started talking, as she raised the kettle to pour Victor a cup of the already boiling chai.

- "Yes, I.. purchased it fully last week."

- "Do you know the story of the house, child?"

- "I can't lie, I have no idea. I haven't had the time to research about it."

The woman had a sceptical look, as she starred down at Victor's teacup. After the woman poured some tea for herself, she sat down, and took out a newspaper for him.

On the front of the poster, was a missing child. A girl with two pigtails that ran past her shoulders. 

- "Who.. is this?"

- "That's the Jones' kid. Lilith Jones. Daughter of Sir. Duke Leo Jones and Esme Dummont-Jones. Went missing in 1976."

- "Victor, she had the same last name as you..?"- Aurelie looked at Victor, slightly puzzled by the words of Mary Ross.

- "He hadn't realised it up until then. It is strange though, isn't it?"