Chapter 20: The Confrontation

Start from the beginning

"Vannessa are you even listening to me?"

I snapped my head to him, wide eyed. I didn't even realize that I zoned out on his speech.

"Um... sorry. What did you say?"

He fumed even more if that was a possibility.

"You're really getting out of hand." He seethed. "It seems I have been giving you too much freedom since your mom left."

It was my turn to get angry and I raged like a fire bursting majestically from a shower of gasoline.

"Don't talk about her," I spat.

"I can talk about her and I will. I'm your father dammit and she's your mother. Put some respect on her name, you insolent child."

"I'm an insolent child? I'm an insolent child? Wow." I rolled my eyes and had to control myself to not throw the shopping bag at his face in anger.

The nerve of him!

"How could you think she deserves any respect after what she did to us dad? She deserted us. She was selfish and chose herself over her husband and her only child. Why are you being so hard headed? Are you so blinded by her charm that you still put her over your child years later?"

"Vannessa," he growled. Low and menacingly.

"What? Did I stroke your ego dad?" I challenged feeling courage seep into my bones.

"Watch your mouth." Dad spat dangerously.

I ignored his warning and persisted.

I had to get off what was on my chest while I still had the rush of adrenaline running through my body.

"You're never home!" I shouted, not caring how loud my voice was as it echoed throughout the house. "And when you are home you never spend time with me."

"When was the last time you told me you loved me or that you wanted to watch a movie with me? Instead of working and giving me useless materialistic things you should step out of your own world for a few seconds and see that I just want your time."

I was breathing heavily.

"Don't you see that I am crying out to you dad?"

I watched my dad with a look at exasperation. He squared his shoulders and he appeared to be far from understanding or calm. Like a blistering winter, his words were cold and uncaring.

"You are grounded young lady. And don't you ever think that you're leaving this house without my consent for the next two weeks. I'm taking your car and you should be glad I'm not taking your laptop and your phone just because of school." He gritted harshly.

I took a few steps backwards. Like his words had smacked me right-side up the head.

I'm grounded?

This has never happened before and I didn't know what to do.

"My driver will be picking you up to and from school for the next two weeks and I want you at school and straight back home. No exceptions."

"You can't do this," I argued, folding my arms defiantly.

"I can and I will. Don't think I didn't get the little email that your school sent me. Your grades are dropping."

I paled and bit my lip nervously. I was hoping he wouldn't have found out about that.

"Don't think that this behavior of yours can help you to get into a good college. You're sixteen Vannessa and you should remember that I am your parent."