👑 January 2024 Winner: The Dreaded Goodbye

At last, we have the first Champion of Astania of 2024! Congratulations to MilaForLife with her written entry "The Dreaded Goodbye"!

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

Prompt: Incorporate the following words in a written or graphic piece: trail/path, sea/ocean, navigate, time.

An excerpt from "The Dreaded Goodbye" by MilaForLife

Today was our last day together. The knowledge tugged painfully at my heart as each minute ticked off, inching closer and closer to the moment when my girlfriend, Aurélia, and I would be separated forever. I would have never thought in a million years that our time would be short. But life has a way of throwing surprises in your path, causing you to trip over them and fall flat on your face no matter how great things are currently going.

"You ready?" Her angelic voice filled my mind with a melody as sweet as honey.

Her hands have been covering my eyes for what seemed like an hour until we finally stopped. The sound of rocks pattering hit my ears, and I immediately tensed.

"It's okay, I'm here," she whispered in my ear assuringly. Her hot breath tickled my ear, making my breath hitch.

"I'm ready," I said softly, unsure of where we were or what was about to happen.

She slowly removed her hands and wrapped them around my waist as she cradled her chin in my neck. When I opened my eyes, my breath caught in my throat as the mesmerizing sight unfolded before me.

We were standing on the edge of a cliff, the flat rocky surface a beautiful mixture of rose azalée, rapose gray, and blackberry wine. The sun was beginning to set, casting its warm glow over the calm, rippling surface of the vast ocean which disappeared into the horizon. It was as if an artist had carefully painted the flaming sunset on a canvas, the smooth blend of red, pink, orange, and yellow creating a breathtaking sight.

I glanced down and watched as the foamy waves gently clashed against the jugged rocks below, the splashing sound like the soothing feel of a cool breeze on a hot summer day.

The beach was completely empty save for a few sea turtles steadily crawling back to the water, the waves kissing the sand before drawing back and repeating the cycle.

"Do you like it?" Aurélia asked in a hushed tone as she released me.

"I love it." I turned around to face her. "But you know what's even more beautiful?"

She curiously cocked her head to the side, waiting for me to continue.

"You are. The only view more phenomenal than the sunset of this magnificence is you."

─── ・ 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ───

Congratulations again to MilaForLife!

For your chance to be the next Champion of Astania, check out the open trials to see what sparks your creativity. Both monthly and seasonal contests are going on now! For those interested, please remember to read the rules carefully, and feel free to comment or message us with any questions!