Meeting Mabel

Slaughtering children so that you can live longer, that's pure evil

One

We moved off, Sam asked "Where to?" and for lack of any better idea I told her to head back to Clarence Rickard, the first Vampire abduction.

Within a few minutes I felt a tingling in the back of my neck and when I turned around saw that Gizmo was now facing the back window with his hackles up. I let my mind join with his and focused on two particular headlights with the cars in between fading out as insignificant.

"Sam," I turned back to the front. "Give it some welly."

She looked at me briefly as if she might want to ask a question but instead slammed the accelerator to the floor and the big Mercedes leapt forward.

London at night is not the best place to be driving at high speed but Sam's reactions were lightning fast so I re-joined Gizmo to see what was happening behind.

The two headlights had also accelerated and were dodging between other cars to keep us in sight.

"Sam, we have uninvited guests," I told her. "Do some ducking and diving but don't let them lose us. When we get to the Elephant and Castle we can reverse the positions and follow them."

Sam nodded and the car swerved from side to side as she passed slower vehicles, turned suddenly into a jumble of smaller streets then back out onto King William Street, into Borough High Street and on down to Elephant and Castle's madly jumbled junction.

The following car was now directly behind us.

Sam did a ridiculous hand brake turn to a fanfare of angry hooters and terrified drivers swerving wildly all over the road but the chasing car went past us and Sam gunned the engine and caught up with it, a Range Rover with darkened windows.

The following car was now the followed and we both sped along the A23 towards Clapham.

As we both drew alongside the common the Range Rover swerved towards the pavement, crashing up the high kerbs and slewed to a halt. The woman got out of one of the rear passenger doors and it was her, the woman from the magazine picture and from my mind. She stood still and smiled while two Werewolves also exited the car wearing body armor and holding Tek 21 assault rifles.

We had stopped in the road, the kerbs too high for the low slung Mercedes. Sean and I climbed out but the woman blew a kiss and stepped back into her car while the Werewolves opened up on full auto, spraying bullets down the side of our car, blowing both driver's side tyres and puncturing the engine and terrifying the public who all went screaming away.

I was hunkered down by the front offside wheel and Sean at the rear while Sam and Gizmo had ducked down onto the floor inside the car. Suddenly the bullets stopped and the silence was deafening. I carefully peaked over the bonnet in time to see the Range Rover spinning all four wheels, ripping up the grass and churning mud up into the air. In moments it had bumped back down onto the road and disappeared.

"Is everyone okay?" I called out, trying to ignore the ringing in my head.

"I'm fine," mike returned.

"Woof" said Gizmo.

"Me too," said Sam. "Looks like we got their attention anyway."

"Whose mobile is that?" I had spotted a phone on the pavement beside the car.

"Not mine," Sean shrugged.

I bent down and picked it up. It pinged and a message came up in the screen.

"She wants to meet," I told the others. "Tomorrow afternoon at the Rock Star Sushi Bar in Morden. At least it's close to the office."

Two