Chapter 23

Season 1 Episode 23

Mahira POV

Flashback

"No lake?" I inquired, searching around for the head of the Carmel hair girl. She was always present on our dates, waiting for us. Was she late today?

"She doesn't always need to be here." Rory scoffed as she strapped on the skate shoes, running her fingertips over the wheels to ensure they were spinning in sync.

"Why?"

Something was definitely happened between them.

So far, Lake has been almost wherever we go. She happened to be present when we went on our anniversary date, our movie night date. She sleeps over on certain days. She's simply constantly present. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen her this week since the summer started.

"She uhm...at her parents, she's staying with them for two weeks. I can't wait until she gets back."

"Yeah, me too." I muttered.

I despise lake. I freaking loathe her. However, it's not like I can tell my girlfriend—who considers her to be her best friend—that I detest her best friend.

Looking at Rory, she didn't appear pleased that only me and her were hanging around. Lake seemed to be the driving force behind our connection.

We both went out on the rink; it was busy tonight since it was hip hop night, with hip hop music playing in the background and people dancing to the lyrics. I was not a dancer, but I could skate.

"How has class been going?" Our conversations were uncomfortable, but when she spoke with Lake, it flowed beautifully. They giggled every time they glanced at each other, and I was like a jealous girlfriend watching them.

"It is good. You know, a new semester is coming up, so..."

I chuckled, "So what?"

"Will you be paying for my school fees?" She asked. I tried to hold her hand, but she steered away. "Is something wrong?"

"It isn't humorous, Mahira."

"What's not funny."

"You know, my parents can hardly pay my tuition."

"Rory, what are you talking about? You know I always pay for it." I said."

"I simply don't want to stress you out, so I asked them if they could lift a little weight, and they said they still didn't have anything." She groaned and stopped at the bar handles.

"But I told you not to fret over them. That I'll take care of it." She was about to enter her fourth and final year, and she had made it thus far without them. Why would she call and pressure them for money?

"I basically felt useless for not accomplishing things on my own." I stand in front of her, the wheels of the skate making it difficult for me to remain stable.

"Don't over analyze things. You understand that there is nothing in this world that I would not do for you." I replied, holding onto her shirt for support.

"I love you." She whispered.

"I love you, too—"

"Hey, you guys look like a good pair. Can I snap a photo of you? It'll only cost $30." a guy, with a blue and white cap, said. He had a Polaroid camera around his neck, which he held with one hand.

"No—" Rory was just about to reply.

"Yeah sure." I said. I threw my arms around Rory, and she placed her palm on my buttocks, which were concealed by short denim shorts.

"Say Cheese!" Placing the camera up to his eyes, the man exclaimed.

"Cheese!" Rory and I shouted. The flasher went off, blinding me for a second. "How long have you been together."

"Uh?" Rory stammered.

"Four years." I remarked, smiling up at her. Her eyes widened, as if she couldn't believe we had been together for so long.

"Wow, very nice."

"Are you two thinking about getting married?" He requested as he flashed the photo for it to dry.

"Not sure," Rory said.

"Don't rush; you have a long future ahead of you." He said. I paid him, and he handed me the photo before rolling away.

"He's a scammer." Rory muttered.

"No, it's wonderful, you see." I explained, showing her the picture, which was becoming brighter by the second.

"Why don't you believe we will marry? We have always discussed it."

"It's just that, what if I'm not the person you really want. I do not have any money. I have nothing to give you."

"I told you to quit worrying. You are everything I need." I muttered, leaning forward to peck her lips.