ii. how not to get dragged on a deadly quest, (not so) helpful guide by Aster

──── One thing about Aster is that he physically was unable to not be late

And when anyone tried to confront him about it, he just flashed his usual cheeky smile and said something along the lines – the prettiest flowers always bloom at the last moment. Was it a direct insinuation that he found himself pretty? Maybe. But was he lying? No one could have denied that.

In fact, the real cause of his notorious late arrivals was that Aster got easily distracted by slightest occurrences. He liked to take his time admiring things he found beautiful or intriguing and he liked basking in the sun and warm breeze, breathing in the nature around him. Nature felt like freedom.

So when he finally stumbled on the wooden porch, whistling an overheard melody sung by a few dryads near the strawberry fields he had a sweet chat with, all heads turned his way. Aster nodded in acknowledgment towards Chiron and the director, and his smile widened, when the already frowning face of Mr. D darkened even more.

"Did I miss anything?"

Aster peeked to his left, feeling something drilling holes in the back of his head and one of his eyebrows curled up when he had finally located the culprit. Sea-green eyes blinked abruptly and focused on the pinochle cards scattered on the table.

Aster to this day suffered PTSD from the last time he played that card game with Chiron and Dionysus.

"The only missing thing I would be happy about is you, Asher." Dionysus grumbled. His chubby face twisted and his second chin got even more evident.

"Aster, actually. And thank you, you flatter me too much, Mr. D."

"One of these days I swear, I will incinerate you and turn into dust."

"I prefer the dolphins much more, sir, that's more creative. At least, I'd be a cute dolphin. Who wouldn't like being a dolphin? Percy, do you like dolphins? I love dolphins."

"I–" Percy opened his lips to, of course agree, he loved dolphins, but Chiron cleared his throat, bringing the attention back to him.

"Aster, we were expecting you here fifteen minutes ago." The centaur urged himself to appear intimidating, but his warm eyes betrayed him, as they twinkled with mischief at Aster's disarming charm.

"Well, that's odd." He said. "'Cause I had no intention of being here fifteen minutes ago." Aster beamed and leaned on a porch rail, in the exact same manner Annabeth did a few minutes ago, Percy noted.

"That's it. You'll get your dolphin, Andre." Dionysus raised from his seat.

"Aster, my child, I'm glad you finally made it to meet us, but we should get back to what we were discussing. Please, Mr. D, put that chair down." Somehow, Chiron was able to pacify the outraged god, who, banned from physically abusing his campers, settled on mumbling insults in ancient greek.