Chapter 41 - Tom

En başından başla

Tom walked in front of me, feeling the space around him. My studio was my pride and joy and the perfect place for us to be together in private. I didn't share the space with anyone, didn't need to. The money I earned from commissions alone was enough to pay for the rent. Matter of fact, my studio was bigger than Gary Kent's, which secretly made me extremely happy.

In his dark grey suit, Tom examined the pieces I was working on, the heels of his oxford shoes echoing in the ample room.

"I love these," he said nonchalantly. My heart almost stopped.

"Really?" I asked. I could feel sweat gathering at the back of my neck.

"Yes, they're wonderful. Like you."

He placed his right hand over my forearm and pulled me to him. He run his thumb over the tattooed latin words "esto quod es".

Be what you are.

He kissed me, his tongue still tasting of the coffee he had at the office before meeting me. We hadn't been in the studio for two minutes and he was already wanting intimacy. Even though his touch melted me, I didn't want to have sex right away. I wanted to talk to him, to know him.

"The grand tour isn't over," I said as I broke the kiss. He had the most beautiful deep brown eyes I had ever seen.

He smiled at me. "Show me then."

I led him through the studio as if I was presenting an exhibition. In a way I was. I had been working for months on a collection that would be used at a runway show during New York Fashion Week where the paintings mirrored the prints of the gowns. I had been working with the designer remotely to get every detail spot on.

Finally, after showing all the pieces, I showed him the lounge area. I had a small kitchenette and a couple couches. This area was where I was most creative and sketched the most. It was my favourite part of the studio as it reflected my personality through the decor.

"Congratulations for the wonderful space," said Tom. "I'm jealous of you."

I laughed, knowing he was joking.

"As if."

"I'm serious," Tom replied. "To work without interruptions from anyone, not having to deal with clients daily, having the freedom to chose my working hours, have a creative space like this... You have an enviable life."

I walked toward the licor bar, a cabinet I had flipped a few years ago. I poured us two glasses of vodka with lime juice. Tom sat on one of the couches facing the window, admiring the view as I prepared our drinks.

"Trust me, there's nothing to be jealous of," I said candidly. "Sometimes I wish I had pursued a more traditional career."

"Why so?"

I brought him his drink and sat next to him.

"It gets quite lonely sometimes. I work here alone so when I'm in the flow I sometimes forget about lunchtime. I have the radio to keep me company but sometimes I wish I could just chat to someone throughout the day, you know?"

"Hm, I see how that could happen," said Tom, sipping his vodka lime. "Why don't you hire collaborators?"

I looked down at the floor. I had tried in the past but it didn't end well.