Chapter 28 - Drop

Christopher
***

I leaned back against the couch on the floor, completely exhausted. My heart felt like it would tear through my ribcage from how hard it was beating, my skin felt clammy from sweat, and my right hand was pulsing in pain, as if I had pressed it into searing hot iron.

Ali turned to me, her face bright and content, and kissed me. I kissed her back and closed my eyes, trying to ignore all the screaming signs from my body that this was too much physically, even for me.

I broke the kiss and leaned my head back over Ali's legs. I placed my hand on my heart, touching the dampness of my own sweat. With my adrenaline still pumping, I turned sideways and placed my hand on Ali's thigh, caressing her.

"Are you okay?" I asked. She had her face buried between the sofa pillows, equally as exhausted.

"Hm hm," she simply replied, not looking my away.

I stared at her red marks, the contrast between her pale wintery skin and the red imprints of my open palm quite jarring.

I had no idea I had it in me to do this, I had no clue where it came from, but here it was, evidence of what I was truly capable of.

"You don't look okay," I replied, gulping. "Look at yourself... Isn't it burning?"

She lifted her head and looked over her shoulder.

"I don't mind," she replied nonchalantly. "I'm sure the redness will be gone soon."

Unsatisfied with that answer, I got up from the floor to cover Ali's body. She didn't look like she was cold, but I knew after the adrenaline came down she'd be shivering.

"What's that for?" She smiled as I tucked her in. "Chris, I'm sweating buckets! I don't want that."

I kissed her cheek. "Yes you do. You're gonna get cold soon. I'm gonna look for some cream to put on your skin, I think it's in the bathroom cabinet. I'll be right back."

Before Ali could protest, I made my way to our bathroom. I stopped by the closet to put some clothes back on as my temperature was also going down. I searched for a specific cream used for inflammation and bruising, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I looked through Ali's stuff, her baskets and boxes of creams and bottles, but nothing.

I darted to the guest bathroom, thinking maybe I had misplaced it there. I looked under the sink, but it wasn't there either.

"Uhm, Ali," I called from the corridor as I made my way back to the living room. "I can't find the cream anywhere. Maybe I threw it out or something, I don't remember. I'll just go down to the pharmacy real quick and get it for you, okay?"

She rose from the sofa with the blanket wrapped around her naked body. I could tell this had very intense for her given the awkward way she was walking. She was probably still in pain.

"I don't need it," she insisted. "I'm fine, I promise."

I held her face and kissed her forehead. "I'm not taking a no for an answer. I'll be back in fifteen minutes. Now go lay down and rest."

She laughed giddily, pressing her lips firmly into mine for a brief second. She knew I wasn't going to change my mind.

"Fifteen minutes," I repeated, putting on my jacket and shoes.