CHAPTER 45! she was so in love with him that it made her heart hurt

Start from the beginning

her stomach twisted and tied into bow shaped knots.

she would make sure not to lose anybody else.

but death was not the only way to lose someone.

« ───── « ʚɞ » ───── »

the tow truck ran out of gas at the edge of a river canyon. that was just as well, because the road dead-ended.

thalia got out and slammed the door.

immediately, one of the tires blew.

"wow." cherry huffed.

"great. what now?" thalia spoke, with the same tone.

percy scanned the horizon.

there wasn't much to see. desert in all directions, occasional clumps of barren mountains plopped here and there.

the canyon was the only thing interesting. the river itself wasn't very big, maybe fifty yards across, green water with a few rapids, but it carved a huge scar out of the desert.

the rock cliffs dropped away below.

"there's a path," grover said. "we could get to the river."

"the goat path? we're not goats though. but we can try!" cherry shrugged, her voice forcing itself to remain upbeat.

"we can make it," grover agreed. "i think."

thalia grew pale.

cherry noticed, and sat up.

percy looked over at her.

"maybe not." cherry shook her head.

"yeah, i think we should go farther upstream." percy agreed.

"but-" grover began.

"it's kinda pretty here. a walk would be nice, right?" cherry looked over at her friends.

"yeah. a walk won't hurt us." percy glanced at thalia, who's eyes seemed to thank him.

they followed the river about half a mile before coming to an easier slope that led down to the water.

on the shore was a canoe rental operation that was closed for the season.

percy left a stack of golden drachmas on the counter and a note saying two canoes.

"we need to go upstream," zoe said. "the rapids are too swift."

"leave that to me." percy said.

the sand morphed itself into tiny beings, almost like ants. they carried the canoes on top of themselves and dragged them into the water.

cherry waved and smiled at them, whispering a thank you.

the sand returned to its original place, as it'd always been.

"wow. you sure are good at avoiding labor." grover commented, with a grin.

"it's a blessing and a curse." cherry agreed.

perc and zoe took one canoe.

grover, cherry, and thalia took another.

percy didn't even need to control the currents. as soon as they got in the river, a couple of naiads began staring at percy.

they looked like regular teenage girls, except for the fact that they were underwater.

percy greeted them, and they made a bubbling sound that may have been giggling.