Twelve

"Goodness what a day." Sophia said leaning on the bannisters in the hallway of her home as she removed her high heels, her hat had been removed and placed on the stairs the moment she entered the house with Johnny following behind her. His morning suit jacket thrown over his arm, and his collar and tie loose. "It was quite the day. Thank you for having me." Johnny said as he held his hand out to balance the woman. "It was a pleasure, thank you for coming." She said. "Can I get you a refreshing drink? Gin and Tonic?" She padded barefoot into the kitchen opening windows and bifolding doors to allow some breeze through. Although it was only just gone 8pm, it had been a long day in the sun, with a lot of alcohol and food. "That sounds nice." Johnny slowly followed placing his possessions on a bar stall that was located round the kitchen island.

After sitting in the garden and relaxing with their drinks for a while, Sophia stood. "This is a little awkward, but would you mind?" She turned her back on him and gestured to the button and zipper at the very top of her dress. "Course not." Johnny said with a smile standing and gently undoing it. "I guess being single means I'll have to be more selective with my outfits." She smirked. "Or just have me on speed dial." He chuckled. "I'm gonna get out of this dress it's clung to me all day.. I won't be a moment." She said politely before heading inside the house.

A few moments after Sophia had retreated, Johnny was rolling a cigarette when he saw her phone light up on the garden table. He smirked when he saw it said Christopher rolling his eyes he let it ring and ring. It stopped before it began again, on the third call he answered it but hesitated.

"Soph? What fucking game are you playing?! Just because I took a few weeks to grieve for our relationship and didn't reply to the lawyers, you then go ahead and pull the PR move of the century?? Being photographed with celebrities all day and getting pally with a victim of domestic violence?? What game are you playing?? You know damn well I've never laid a hand on you and would never so why are you attempting to smear me with clever moves..." he finally stopped for breath, and Johnny's eyes widened. "Are you quite finished?" He said calmly. "Who is this?!" "I'm said victim of domestic violence actually.. how can I help?"
"Where's Sophia?"
"She's unavailable right now, I'll let her know you called."
"Why are you answering her phone?"
"Well it's been a busy day for her, and I heard the phone ring three times I assumed it was an emergency but clearly you just called to accuse her of fake things."
"So what the fuck were you doing with my girlfriend at Royal Ascot?!"
"Firstly, I hear she's not your girlfriend anymore, secondly what my whereabouts has to do with you I don't know and thirdly, I didn't realise there was a rule as to who can and can't attend Royal Ascot?"
"Oh fuck off." Christopher said and hung up.

Johnny placed the phone down on the garden table shocked, and looked up. Sophia was stood in the doorway. "I'm sorry.. it's just it rang and rang." "Don't be. Did he say what he wanted?" "He umm just went off on one with fake accusations I wouldn't worry. He sounded as if he was rather intoxicated." "Oh..." Sophia said sadly. "Are you ok?" Johnny asked. "I just umm, he really tried to make it up to me and now, he's just angry all the time. We can't speak about anything because he's just so angry and upset. I just don't know what to do anymore." She had changed into a pair of daisy dukes and a cami top and curled her legs under her as she sat down before Johnny lent across and took her hand. "It will all be ok, he's just angry now because he's realising there's no way back. None of this is your fault."

An hour later, Sophia's phone had blown up, with messages and missed calls from her ex. In the end she read the last message and turned her phone off.

I'm coming to discuss all of this mess. Don't ignore me.

"Oh god what is his problem. Why can't he just do this the proper way?" Sophia whined as she topped up their drinks and headed back out to the patio. "Do you really think he will come?" Johnny said concerned. "I don't know... I hope not. I haven't changed the locks or anything because it's still his house and I never thought I would be that concerned about him turning up. He's never given me reason to be scared of him." Johnny nodded. "And now?" "Now he just seems unhinged. As if all of this is my fault? Excuse me for not sitting back and allowing him to fuck his way around London." Johnny smirked "Yeah some guys don't like not having that freedom." "You think?" Sophia rolled her eyes giggling. "This might be weird, but do you want me to stay? Just in case? I could nap on the couch I don't mind." "Oh Johnny don't be silly, you don't need to protect me." "I'm worried about you though. If you say this is out of character..." Sophia bit her lip. "Ok.. stay, if it would put your mind at ease, it certainly would be nice to have the company, but there are three guest bedrooms for you to choose from." She said with a smile.