Setting the mask on the table, she brushed small pieces of hair back and resumed eating, acutely aware of the family's gazes upon her. She couldn't help but feel self-conscious under their scrutiny.

Setting her utensils down, she rose from her seat hastily. "Excuse me, I need to use the restroom," she said hurriedly.

Once behind the bathroom door, Karma approached the large sink and reluctantly glanced at her reflection. It had been ages since she'd truly looked at herself in the mirror, always avoiding the reminder of what lay beneath the mask.

Her heterochromatic eyes stared back at her, one onyx and the other a fierce purple. While others might find them fascinating, to her, they were a constant reminder of her past failures, fueling her anger with every glance.

Each reflection seemed to intensify her frustration, eroding her sense of identity. Losing touch with her own face felt like a personal affront.

With a sigh, she straightened the buns in her hair and returned to the table, where the Tanuki family conversed in low tones. Karma forced a smile, attempting to redirect the conversation away from herself, "What's the weather like lately?"

They remained silent, until Hiro finally spoke up. "The weather's fine. Quite humid," he muttered.

Karma glanced at Hiro's parents, who continued to stare at her. Uncomfortable, she shifted in her seat.

"Why don't you unveil your face more often, dear?" Hiro's mother prodded. "You're so beautiful; it's a shame to hide it."

Karma looked away, her tone resigned. "The Anbu's regulations are strict. I only remove my mask for necessities, even my brother hasn't seen my face."

"That's nonsense!" Hiro's mother exclaimed. "You should be proud to show off your beauty, even as an Anbu!"

Karma chuckled softly, "I wish it were that simple, but I doubt the rules will change anytime soon."

With a sigh, the woman cleared the table, leaving Karma to exchange a worried glance with Hiro who seemed to be reciving a transmission.

"What's he saying?" she whispered anxiously.

Hiro hesitated before replying, "The stone carver has arrived in the village."

Karma's eyes widened in alarm, and she pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration. "Alright, let's go," she said resignedly.

Standing up, Karma approached Hiro's parents. "I apologize for leaving so abruptly, but I have urgent matters to attend to in the village."

They smiled understandingly. "It's quite alright, dear. We know being Hokage comes with responsibilities."

"Thank you for your understanding. I'll return soon, I promise," Karma said sincerely, before putting on her mask and taking Hiro's paw.

With a soft whoosh, they vanished, reappearing in the Hokage's office. Hiro's cousin slumped over her desk, while the stone carver and his assistant waited awkwardly.

Slipping into her robe, Karma pushed Hiro's cousin out of the chair, accidentally causing him to unsummon himself.

"Apologies for the delay. How may I assist you?" Karma asked, gesturing to the stone carver.

Clearing his throat, the carver spoke up. "I'm here to carve your likeness into the stone mountains. I'd appreciate it if we could begin now."

Karma clicked her tongue in annoyance. "You're a day early. Wouldn't you prefer some rest before starting?"

"No, we're ready to begin," the carver insisted.

"Very well," Karma sighed. "Please proceed."

As the carver began measuring her head, he suggested, "Perhaps you should remove the mask. It might affect the accuracy of the carving."

Karma hesitated, a flicker of resistance in her eyes. "But it's part of my trademark..."

◦◦,'°.✽✦✽.◦.✽✦✽.°', ◦◦

°', ◦◦

◦◦,'°.✽✦✽.◦.✽✦✽.°', ◦◦

MARCELINE SPEAKS...

Hey guys I'm back for my monthly chapter, at this rate this story will be done in like 8 years but Yolo.

I'll see y'all next month and I'll possibly write another this month but I doubt it.

Anyways, thanks for sticking around and putting up with my shit lol.

💞