Chapter 32: Kirito's Resolve

Start from the beginning

"I'll be the one to bring you down, Shadow!" Iris seethed, her fists clenched in rage as she glared at him with fiery determination.

Shadow, unfazed by her threat, smirked and opened his arms in a mocking welcome. "Oh, really? Well, by all means, get it done then," he taunted, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Bastard!" Iris spat, her fury boiling over as she lunged forward, intent on delivering justice with her own hands.

As Iris lunged forward with a furious battle cry, Shadow effortlessly sidestepped her attack, his movements elegant and precise. With a flick of his wrist, he deflected her strike with his sword, the clash of metal echoing through the chaos around them.

"Is that the best you can do, little girl?" Shadow taunted, his voice dripping with mockery as he danced effortlessly out of her reach. "I expected more from someone so full of righteous fury."

Iris gritted her teeth, frustration evident in her expression as she renewed her assault with renewed determination. Yet each strike was effortlessly parried by Shadow, his movements fluid and seemingly effortless.

"You fight like a petulant child throwing a tantrum," Shadow sneered, his tone condescending as he toyed with Iris, easily dodging her attacks. "Perhaps you should rethink your strategy before challenging someone of my caliber."

With a sly grin, Shadow vanished into the shadows, only to instantly reappear behind Iris, who gasped in shock at his sudden appearance. Before she could react, Shadow swung his sword with deadly precision.

But just as the blade was about to strike, Kirito appeared out of nowhere, his own sword intercepting Shadow's with impeccable timing. The clash of metal rang out as Kirito stood between Shadow and Iris, his gaze steely and determined.

Iris, stunned by Kirito's intervention, stumbled back, her heart pounding with a mixture of relief and gratitude as she watched Kirito face off against Shadow, ready to defend her.

"Kir-" Iris began, her voice choked with emotion as she turned to Kirito, her eyes wide with disbelief. "Why did you come? Shadow is too dangerous."

Kirito met her gaze with unwavering determination, his expression resolute. "Princess Iris, Shadow is my opponent tonight," he declared firmly, his grip tightening on his sword as he prepared to face off against his longtime adversary.

As Kirito squared off against Shadow, the enigmatic figure regarded him with a mixture of surprise and intrigue. (Kirito... once again, you surpass my expectations,) Shadow thought to himself, a hint of admiration in his voice. (You've outgrown your role as a mere background character and become a formidable side character.)

Yet, despite his internal musings, Shadow couldn't shake the feeling of unease at the prospect of facing off against his friend. (It doesn't feel right to fight someone I consider a friend,) he thought, his mind conflicted as he debated his next move. (But perhaps I should just play along for now.)

Before Shadow could make a decision, Kirito interrupted his thoughts, his voice cutting through the chaos with unwavering resolve. "I don't know your goals or the methods you plan to use to achieve them," Kirito stated, his sword pointed directly at Shadow. "But if our paths cross, I will not stand by and let you continue unchecked."

Shadow's gaze narrowed as he regarded Kirito with a mixture of respect and wariness. "So be it," he muttered to himself, his resolve hardening as he prepared to face off against his own friend.

The clash between Kirito and Shadow was intense, their swords dancing with precision and speed as they exchanged blows. Kirito's skill was undeniable, slightly matching Shadow moves, much to Shadow's surprise.