white lilies and the pink candy floss

The anticipation and impatience when mixed could be a potential virus to kill a man's heart, Virendra knew that better than anyone, yet he found himself glancing at his watch every minute and bobbing his weak knees continuously—the pain in his joi...

The anticipation and impatience when mixed could be a potential virus to kill a man's heart, Virendra knew that better than anyone, yet he found himself glancing at his watch every minute and bobbing his weak knees continuously—the pain in his joints, long forgotten. The jet black ironed blazer facing the impatience of the old man, was being played with its hem. A shaky breath escaped from his mouth as he avidly looked at the park entrance gate. 

She should be here any minute now! The thought played on repeat in his mind as he kept his gaze fixed over the entrance.

Will she like his look? Will she find him less attractive now that he is not as young and handsome as he used to be, when they met? The thoughts increased his anxiety multiple folds, but as soon as his heartbeats rose in tension, the sooner they were down as his mind striked her words on replay in his mind.

"I love your soul, Vir. I love you. The being, the existence and the presence of you." He smiled, reminiscing on the words the lady had confessed to him forty years ago. Obviously, his Namita had a heart of gold. The one that was only filled with love and compassion for others. Being affected by superficial? Nah, his Namita was above all that. She loved him for him, not for his looks or profession or money. But because he was simply her Vir.

"You remembered?" Startled by a feminine shaky voice, Virendra immediately turned to look behind to look at the person he was waiting so long for. He didn't have to double guess that it was her, he knew it just by her voice. Oh, her sweet adorable voice, even age couldn't waver it's magic. It was still magical to his ears, although grown a bit old, but to him it looked like it was as melodious as he left it.

With tears glistening in his eyes, he looked to find his dream lady standing there with two pink candy flosses in her hand. He couldn't waver his gaze from her face as she had spellbound him, by looking so radiant and beautiful even at sixty-five. The wrinkles somehow only added to her charm and twisted his heart in an inexplicable desperation to run his fingers over them.

Dressed in a crisp red sari, the one that looked like it hadn't been worn even once, as if she had saved it just for today. Her eyes filled with Kohl and tears glistening over their waterline, gave away that she had been the victim of same longingness and desperation as him.

"So did you." He replied, extending his hand to give her the white lilies he had brought for her as they had promised each other forty years ago. It had been four decades, yet the love between them looked nothing older than four days.

"Vir." She broke down into tears, regretting the past. Four decades. Had they been wiser, they would have spent every day of it together.

"Nimmi." Saying, he embraced her petite frame in his own. The couple silently wept, wiping each other's cheek.

"You've grown old, Nimmo!" He joked, in an attempt to tease her.

"Not a day, I haven't aged at all!" She gasped, turning away from him scowling.