Songs of Lilith

This work was written for the Open Novella Contest 2024.

epigraph

❝to be is to become all of yourself.❞

synopsis

Detective Tobias Hale has a caffeine addiction and enjoys avoiding his problems. His problems include his dead Fae father, the abilities he inherited from him and a government agent named Alaine Falmouth.

Their superiors assign Tobias and Alaine to solve the murder of Elijah Laing—a man whose death threatens to unravel centuries of peace. Their investigation leads them to the primordial goddess Lilith, who has a deeper connection to the human world than she lets on.

Despite his protests, Alaine pushes Tobias to use his abilities to present a solution. He realises avoiding his past is ineffective and must confront his Fae heritage to prevent a cataclysmic war.

timeline

started 29/02/2024
ended ??/??/????

core prompt

56: In a world where humans and magical creatures coexist, a detective must solve a murder case that threatens to plunge two communities into war.

auxiliary prompts

18: With powers they said were a shame, a goddess is tamed into submission and fears her own destiny.

4: When life gives you balloons, you fly up into the sky.

******

© 2024 Rolando. All Rights Reserved. This work or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written consent of the author except in the context of brief quotations in reviews.