15. Asal | Real | اصل

Start from the beginning

He struggled to contain his anger, his teeth clenched in frustration.

She constantly pushed his buttons, questioning his words and actions. It was as if she refused to acknowledge her own deeds, her refusal to accept her true nature driving him to the brink of madness.

Meanwhile, Rumi seethed with frustration,

WHAT ON EARTH COULD SHE HAVE POSSIBLY DONE TO PROVOKE HIM LIKE THIS? Why did he always seem to confront her with new accusations every time she sought clarification from him?

First, it was the baseless accusation of being a home wrecker, followed by the absurd notion that she might harm his sister. And now, as she questioned him about these allegations, he seemed to imply that she was feigning ignorance. But why? What was his motive for continually casting doubt upon her character?

""I... I'm struggling to understand, Zayan. Can't we have a mature conversation and resolve whatever misunderstandings exist between us?" she pleaded, attempting to find common ground.

His gaze darkened at her words.
"There's.nothing.between.us that needs resolving. I've said all I need to. Take care of my family, prepare lunch for them, and remember, don't set foot in my room under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. One misstep, and I'll deal with it myself," he declared, his tone tinged with restrained anger, before abruptly ending the call without waiting for her response.

"hel-hello?" she said and saw the blank screen of her phone. She sighed.

His cruel words were breaking her, but more than that, they ignited a deep curiosity within her, driving her to understand the reasons behind his actions. The desire to unravel the mystery empowered her, even as she felt herself unraveling under the weight of his deeds. She was teetering on the edge of a fragile thread, knowing that at any moment, it could snap, pulling her down with it into the abyss of his darkness.

She pushed away all the thoughts swirling in her mind and concentrated on preparing lunch for his family. Take care of my family.

The thought that he said his family and not theirs left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Despite feeling exhausted from making breakfast and lunch for his office earlier, with only a small amount for herself, she continued working tirelessly since morning. She didn't realize they were coming, or else she would have prepared food for them too.

On top of everything, she hadn't even eaten breakfast after him. The memory of their last encounter had left her too unsettled to feel hungry. As she cleaned the kitchen, the doorbell suddenly rang. Wiping her hands, she made her way to the entrance, puzzled. It seemed too early for them to arrive. Could it be that the driver had forgotten something?

She swung the door open and found herself enveloped in a tight, comforting hug. It was Ayesha, her mother-in-law. "Meri bacchi," Ayesha whispered into her hair.
(My child)

The warmth of the embrace and the endearment flooded Rumi's senses, bringing to the surface all the emotions she had been suppressing since yesterday. Tears welled up in her eyes, unbidden, as she felt the overwhelming loneliness of the vast, luxurious house. She had never needed a hug more than in that moment. A sob escaped her lips as Ayesha pulled back, concern etched on her face as she looked at Rumi, who was now crying uncontrollably.

"Are you okay, Gudiya? What's wrong? We only saw each other yesterday, didn't we?" Ayesha inquired, gently patting Rumi's head. Unaware of the turmoil Rumi was experiencing because of her son, Ayesha had no idea how much Rumi longed for a simple hug or a comforting pat on the head in just one day.