A Quest for a Yes

Start from the beginning

"But it's just a spell. So why are you asking me to do it. You would be right here to look after your own people."

Alvina cut her wrist smiling at Rayna. Golden blood oozed out of her hand and evaporated in the air.

"Why aren't you saying anything?" Rayna held her seams of her dress and strode to her as fast as she could. A light broke out from Alvina's chest. The pain was unbearable for her as a strong energy burst out from her body, the force so extreme that Rayna was pushed off violently to the ground.

 Rayna cast a barrier around herself  for protection as she saw the light escaping from her body altogether, turning it into pure energy.

"Goodbye, Rayna, it was good to know you," she whispered. She smiled and raised her hand towards her as it broke into tiny pieces and evaporated into pure energy. By and by, her whole body disappeared, the light from her body turned into a beam and shot towards the sky, forming a barrier, an unknown force pulling all the light dragons into the barrier, while pushing all the dark dragons out of the barrier.

Rayna's eyes were tearful as she looked at the sky. She broke into tears as a blood curdling scream escaped her throat. 

___________________________________________

Present Day

Ashar Ali

Toronto

Ontario

"No, no, no!!!!" I woke up and looked around. I looked at my hands, I was in the human world. I rubbed my face in frustration. It was still night; probably 3 or 4 in the morning. I removed my sheets and got out of the bed. 

I had been having these dreams ever since past five years. I don't know what changed, but each time they were more vivid than before. 

That dream I had was actually a legend in our clan. Yes, I wasn't a human. I came from a place called Eritrea. Eritrea is in another dimension called Ishgar. It was not exactly good for our living, the conditions were worsening, people there were mostly refugees.

They say that a 1000 years ago, Eritrea was one of the most powerful states in Ishgar. A war broke out and in that war our rulers had died. The Empress who was left, finally gave her life away to save the remaining ones and covered us all in a barrier which took her life.

Ishgar was a dimension of Dragons, shape-shifting dragons which possessed many other powers. Eritrean dragons were the creatures of Light, which was believed to be the strongest one there. I have no idea how they lost that war if they were that strong.

Dragons live for thousands of years. I was born in Eritrea almost a century ago. Twenty years ago, I enrolled in the army. I was able to master every skill there was to learn. My master had then given me an assignment. To go the human realm and live there, to hone my skills.

What she meant by honing my skills, I had no idea, because the only skill I honed here were that of a waiter. I decided to take law as it was interesting to solve cases. But it was boring to be by myself, so I decided to leave. But the day that I decided to go back to Eritrea, was the day I met her.

Amyra Shahzeb, she was the reason I decided to stay back. The day I met her, I saw her sad, almost in tears and something crashed inside me. I didn't want to see her cry. It was her birthday that day. And she was having a bad day. I found her wallet on the road, just a few metres away. I had seen her searching her bag repeatedly and decided to ask her. 

My breath hitched when she looked at me that day. 

"Is this yours?" I asked her after I excused myself. It looked like she would burst into tears. She wiped her face with the back of her hands and thanked me gratefully.

"Are you crying because of that?" I asked her curiously. I wanted to hear her voice again. It was so sweet. 

"It had my cards and money and even learner's license," she said, softly.

"It's okay. Things happen. The most important thing is you found it," I consoled her.

We talked for a while and I found she lived nearby, both from where I lived and worked. I showed her the cafe and to my delight she loved it.

She promised me to come back there, again. And she did, it became a routine. I hadn't had courage to ask her but I had planned to do that today. She was the reason I wanted to stay. And now, when I had the courage, some devil decided to attack her. Good thing, I was there on time. I had probably lost her.

But why did that woman attack her? I needed to call her, needed to know if she was fine. But her Baba gave me a weird look. He probably didn't like me much.

Damn! Hone your skills, Ashar, it will surely be a quest for a yes.